Menu

PASS, CAT, or ITBS??

My oldest child is in third grade and will need to be tested for the first time this year, as per state law.

Could someone please sort out the differences between these three tests?

Which one(s) did you choose, and why? What did you like or dislike about any of them?

Is the subject matter the same for all of them? Are any of them "easier" then the rest, or just include different material?

How about the way they are graded/scored? Any differences?

Do you get a single score, or is it broken down into sections?

Also, do these tests cover science and SS, or just "basic skills"?

Thanks!

Jenny

http://beanmommyandthethreebeans.blogspot.com/

The PASS is quite different from the other two. It is an achievement test, not a standardized test. It tells you what grade level the child is at while the other two tell you how your child compares to other kids in the same grade. The PASS is also untimed, while the other two are timed. My state probably does not recognize the PASS test for our state requirement, but when I sent it in, it was approved.

All of the tests are broken down into many sections, so you figure out where the weaknesses are. I found the PASS test to be more useful in this area than the CAT, but not by much.

The CAT is generally known to be the quick, easy, cheap way to meet the state requirement. The full battery CAT that we took did have a science and history section. I would be weary of the short CAT because it seems like if the child makes a couple careless errors, it really tanks their score.

The PASS is great because it creates no pressure since it is untimed and it is great for advanced students because it tells actual grade levels of achievement, not just the standard 98th percentile.

It might be easier if you tell what you are looking for in a test! Matching the child with the right test is important. What are you looking for??

...acceptable for meeting the requirement of testing GA homeschoolers. The PASS is not nationally standardized, and GA law states: "Children must take a national standardized achievement test every three years beginning at the end of the third grade." Ga. Code Ann. � 20-2-690©(7).

The PASS is quite different from the other two. It is an achievement test, not a standardized test. It tells you what grade level the child is at while the other two tell you how your child compares to other kids in the same grade. The PASS is also untimed, while the other two are timed.

The full battery CAT that we took did have a science and history section. I would be weary of the short CAT because it seems like if the child makes a couple careless errors, it really tanks their score.

It might be easier if you tell what you are looking for in a test! Matching the child with the right test is important. What are you looking for??

Thanks!

How is the PASS "quite different" from the other two, other than not being timed? Is the content different somehow? Are the types of questions different?

I'm a little concerned about a Science or SS section, because they are both SO very broad that I don't see how how a test could be helpful. For example, does it ask all the state capitals? Does it ask about ancient Greece? WWII? The Revolutionary War? ALL of those things?? What are the chances of the test covering what we've covered?

I guess I want something that will:

1) Meet state requirements (and someone told me she checked, and GA did accept it, although I guess I should double-check)

2) Be fairly cheap and easy -- I don't want to have to drag my whole family to testing day after day --

3) And yet still give a fair indication of her progress, and whether she (we??) is "keeping up," as well as what her strengths and weaknesses are

Thanks again.

I have used the ITBS and the PASS.

The PASS is good for kids who have issues with being timed and is also good for kids who have extremely asynchronous abilities because it allows you to test at different levels for each subtest (math, reading, and language). On the downside, the test itself and the norms it uses are quite out of date (20-30 years). The scores are broken down, but you don't get a number for the broken down part. You'll just get a score for the subtest as a whole. And conversely, you will get three scores and won't get a composite score of how your kid did overall.

The ITBS is a nationally recognized standardized achievement test. If you give the full battery, you'll get scores for reading, math, and language (with additional sub scores) as well as scores for social studies, science, and sources of information (maps, dictionaries, and so forth). They also give a core total score (for math, reading, and language) and a composite score that includes all subtests. The ITBS is current both in content and in terms of the norms it uses. One downside of the ITBS is that all subtests will be at the same level, so if your child is working above or below grade level in one or more areas, parts of a grade level test will be either too hard or too easy and you might not get appropriate information from those subtests.

Overall, I prefer the ITBS. The PASS test is good for certain circumstances but in general I prefer not to use it.

Thanks!

How is the PASS "quite different" from the other two, other than not being timed? Is the content different somehow? Are the types of questions different?

I'm a little concerned about a Science or SS section, because they are both SO very broad that I don't see how how a test could be helpful. For example, does it ask all the state capitals? Does it ask about ancient Greece? WWII? The Revolutionary War? ALL of those things?? What are the chances of the test covering what we've covered?

The PASS test *is* a standardized achievement test as are the other two.

I am not sure I am using the right vocabulary but bascially the PASS test tells you what grade level your child is at in each area, where the CAT tells you how your child compares to other kids doing the same grade level work. For example: if your 3rd grader takes the PASS, they can test on up to 8th grade level curriculum. The test will tell them what grade level they are at. If the same child takes the CAT, they are only answering questions on thier grade level. They are then compared to other kids and ranked in a percentile.

Somone on these boards told me that the PASS does not meet most state's requirements for testing. I thought they said it wsn't standardized, but I just checked the website and it is. Anyway, it was not listed for my state, but they did accept it.

The history section of the CAT was all about reading a graph, picture or passage and answering questions. There was not much required knowledge for the 3rd grade test. The only thing I remember was asking who paid for something: the mayor, the tax payors or a certain person.

The science section had some pretty specific stuff about lenses, force, and motion. I used the Spectrum Test Prep book to get ready for the test and the test was way easier.

Unless your state requires an outside party to test your kids, all of these tests can be done at home. My son spent about 4 hours on the CAT, spread over 3 days, and about 10 hours on the PASS spread over a week, but he was taking a high level of the test, not the 3rd grade portion. The PASS and CAT are both about $40.

I will be giving my next third grader the PASS if that helps any. I am not an expert, as I have only ever given two tests on one kid!

I am not sure I am using the right vocabulary but bascially the PASS test tells you what grade level your child is at in each area, where the CAT tells you how your child compares to other kids doing the same grade level work. For example: if your 3rd grader takes the PASS, they can test on up to 8th grade level curriculum. The test will tell them what grade level they are at. If the same child takes the CAT, they are only answering questions on thier grade level. They are then compared to other kids and ranked in a percentile.

Somone on these boards told me that the PASS does not meet most state's requirements for testing. I thought they said it wsn't standardized, but I just checked the website and it is. Anyway, it was not listed for my state, but they did accept it.

The history section of the CAT was all about reading a graph, picture or passage and answering questions. There was not much required knowledge for the 3rd grade test. The only thing I remember was asking who paid for something: the mayor, the tax payors or a certain person.

The science section had some pretty specific stuff about lenses, force, and motion. I used the Spectrum Test Prep book to get ready for the test and the test was way easier.

Unless your state requires an outside party to test your kids, all of these tests can be done at home. My son spent about 4 hours on the CAT, spread over 3 days, and about 10 hours on the PASS spread over a week, but he was taking a high level of the test, not the 3rd grade portion. The PASS and CAT are both about $40.

I will be giving my next third grader the PASS if that helps any. I am not an expert, as I have only ever given two tests on one kid!

The PASS test gives you a grade equivalent, a RIT score, and a percentile rank (against a national sample).

From the Buros Institute of Mental Measurements:

According to the technical manual, items constituting the PASS tests were obtained from item banks developed and calibrated during the 1970s in the Portland Public Schools. ...The items are linked to achievement goals established through the tri-county region of Portland, Oregon, during the 1970s.

but we used the CAT-E from Seton for 1st and 2nd because it met the requirements and is "short and sweet," and the PASS for 3rd and up because I didn't want to spend more than a few hours on testing, and my kids usually finished it in around 3 hours total. I've never been surprised by the results at all. I know where they need help, but it's a state requirement and it's not a bad thing to get used to.

Now my kids are older, and I am tentatively planning to participate in group testing with our co-op using the Stanford. My older one has "topped out" on the PASS (he's above their upper range on all three sections now), and I always planned to switch to group testing at about this point. If we can't fit in the group testing, I will probably use the ITBS at home.

For a younger child like yours, especially if they haven't tested before, I'd use something shorter like the CAT-E or PASS. In the grand scheme of things, you want to fulfill the requirements of your state's laws and see where they are in the 3 R's at that age. The rest is just more time and stress for a young child. Maybe your child is more focused than mine were!

but we used the CAT-E from Seton for 1st and 2nd because it met the requirements and is "short and sweet," and the PASS for 3rd and up because I didn't want to spend more than a few hours on testing, and my kids usually finished it in around 3 hours total.

Which did you prefer? Were they particularly different in any way?

I'm thinking for sure I'll do one of those this year, and not ITBS.

Which did you prefer? Were they particularly different in any way?

I'm thinking for sure I'll do one of those this year, and not ITBS.

You get more detail. And it never bothered me that the norms are "old" or that it's standardized but not quite like the others.

For little kids, I prefer shorter tests given at home, and the PASS does that.

Now we're into logic stage with one working at the high school level in some subjects, and it's time to move on. Otherwise I wouldn't hestitate to use it again.