Menu

Keeping a cake moist ?

I would love to bake my son's birthday cake tonight and frost it tomorrow. I will be making it from scratch. I think that somewhere I read that I should freeze it after it cools and then thaw it tomorrow.

Would you bother freezing it if you need it tomorrow afternoon? I don't want it dry. And if I do freeze it, how long before I plan to ice and eat it would it take to thaw?

No need to freeze it, just "crumb coat" it with frosting as soon as it's cool, then put it in the fridge until you're ready to do the final frosting and decorating.

To crumb coat, thin your normal frosting just a bit. Put a big blob of frosting on the cake, and use a spatula to spread it around in a thin-to-medium layer. There will be crumbs, but try to keep some icing on your spatula so that you're not dragging up too many crumbs. Once the whole cake has a thin layer of frosting, take a metal spatula and scrape off most of the icing, leaving only a very thin coat. (The cake will show through the icing, and there'll be some crumbs in the frosting, too.)

By crumb coating the cake, you're sealing in the moisture and assuring that you won't end up with crumbs in the top, decorated layer. Once crumb coated, allow the layer to harden (1-2 hours or more). The crumb coated cake will hold for a day or so in the fridge w/o a problem. So, bake away, and frost when ready.

HIH,

Lisa

No need to freeze it, just "crumb coat" it with frosting as soon as it's cool, then put it in the fridge until you're ready to do the final frosting and decorating.

To crumb coat, thin your normal frosting just a bit. Put a big blob of frosting on the cake, and use a spatula to spread it around in a thin-to-medium layer. There will be crumbs, but try to keep some icing on your spatula so that you're not dragging up too many crumbs. Once the whole cake has a thin layer of frosting, take a metal spatula and scrape off most of the icing, leaving only a very thin coat. (The cake will show through the icing, and there'll be some crumbs in the frosting, too.)

By crumb coating the cake, you're sealing in the moisture and assuring that you won't end up with crumbs in the top, decorated layer. Once crumb coated, allow the layer to harden (1-2 hours or more). The crumb coated cake will hold for a day or so in the fridge w/o a problem. So, bake away, and frost when ready.

HIH,

Lisa

:iagree:

I don't know what flavor cake you're planning to make, but I've never been let down by the plain old chocolate cake recipe on the side of the Hershey's Cocoa can. I think it's called, "Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake" or something like that. It's made with boiling water, and it's ALWAYS moist and delicious.

It's known in our house as "THE cake."

Good luck, and have a great party!

astrid