Menu

Awana frustration-inviting friends

There are otherways to fulfill the requirement. It is written in the leader's handbook, not the child's. The child who is having a problem with this should be able to talk to the leader, director, or commander and be given another way to fulfill the requirement. The alternatives have been around a long time; it isn't something new.

I can't imagine not being forthright with a parent about the Awana program when inviting their child. We took our neighbor's son for 2 years to Awanas. One parent was raised Catholic and the other nonreligious. We clearly explained the program to them in advance, gave them copies of all materials used, and made it clear to them what it was all about. They were fine with it. To not be clear ahead of time is incredibly rude, imo.

Edited by Daisy

My kids have been in Awana since they were 3 years old and they are now 12 and 14. Every year there is a section in the book that encourages them to bring a friend. Our church realizes that that can be hard to do - especially if you are a homeschooler and all your friends go to Awana or are otherwise busy or not interested. If they make some sort of an effort, that page will be signed off. It never would be a reason they wouldn't complete the book. There is never a contest about it, but they might have a bring a friend night. That way if friends come there are other new people there. Our leaders are good about encouraging the child to come back. They would always be welcomed. Sometimes the parents drop and go, so the parents don't get the message.

We met some new friends one time and told them about Awana, but didn't think to invite them. It was March and Awana had been going since September and is over in May. I didn't think they would be interested since there wasn't that many more months left. Then I found out they were interested and they came. They have enjoyed it so much they have been going for 5 years now. you never know.

There are other ways to fulfill the requirement. It is written in the leader's handbook, not the child's. The child who is having a problem with this should be able to talk to the leader, director, or commander and be given another way to fulfill the requirement. The alternatives have been around a long time; it isn't something new.

I agree and would suggest asking to see the list of alternative suggestions yourself. I had an AWANA leader only tell me the ideas that she thought were worthy. Once I saw the list, I found a simple idea on there that was easy for us to complete and allowed dd to move past that section.

I am the Cubbies Director for our church's Awana Ministry. As others have said, the bring a friend part is a section for the school aged children to complete. We don't make a contest out of it at all. For our little ones, the 3and 4 year old Cubbies we have had bring a friend nights. I like to do them near Valentine's Day when we are talking about loving our neighbor. It's never a contest, just a party.

My children are friends with a little girl from Algeria. They wanted her to come to Awana. She wanted to come, but I told her I could not bring her without explaining to her mom where she would be going. She had her big brother help translate so her mother and I could communicate. She politely declined the invitation. I wasn't surprised. I don't think that I would send my children to the mosque with her family either. The children are still friends and her mother and I communicate as much as we can with the laguage barrier.

I think when inviting children, parents need to know what the program is. Some parents will be very interested, some won't care one way or the other, and some will say no. That's okay. It isn't a Christian's job to force or pressure people into anything. It's simply our job to love others and present the opportunity.

I can't imagine not being forthright with a parent about the Awana program when inviting their child. We took our neighbor's son for 2 years to Awanas. One parent was raised Catholic and the other nonreligious. We clearly explained the program to them in advance, gave them copies of all materials used, and made it clear to them what it was all about. They were fine with it. To not be clear ahead of time is incredibly rude, imo.

That is the only (respectful) way to do it.