Menu

Help from ladies in Raleigh, NC and Hampton, VA and everywhere in between

We live in Raleigh. We are supposed to go visit grandparents who live in Hampton/Newport News this weekend. But looking at the weather forecasts, we're not so sure we should go anywhere.

One problem is that the grands grew up in MI and know how to drive in the snow. DH and I grew up in southern VA and well, we can drive in it, but we'd rather not at least not in what they are predicting. Those of you who grew up here understand. Our biggest fear would be getting stuck on rt 58 between Norfolk and Emporia.

Our plan was to go up on Friday, watch children's theater and then home on Saturday. There is a function we need to be at church for on Sunday. But they are saying the snow may not even melt until Monday. We are ok with maybe missing church, but dh needs to be at work on Monday! School can obviously happen whenever.

Oh and then there's the dogsitter. Is it fair to ask her to drive over in the snow?

So what would you do?

No idea what you should do, but remember just because YOU can drive in it doesn't mean the OTHER guy can. Especially down here in the South where there is a mixture of Northerners and Southerners, ifkwim. Plus, the snow here is so wet and slippery ... I wouldn't do it. :)

I just moved from NC....and am chuckling at the memory of that year it snowed 1/2" and there was mass panic....kids stuck in schools, people stuck on the road...:lol::lol::lol: This was 2-4 years ago...my memory is fuzzy. (I used to live in Cary...we probably know some of the same people:001_smile:)

I'm thinking along the lines of having to drive on roads with folks who have no clue what to do in snow/ice...and it would have to be a very pressing need for me to go. jmho.

Now, I live in the snow belt...and I have to drive in the snow all the time, but it's different when the area has snow plows going, and the general population learned to steer out of a skid at the age of 16yo, and has had opportunity to practice the skill every year since.

I agree that you should err on the side of caution. I grew up in Hampton and now live in Williamsburg. Substantial snowfall is pretty rare here making us unaccostomed to driving in slippery conditions. And from what I've seen in the forecast, a lot of the bad stuff is going to be right over your travel route. It's just not worth the risk.

My hubby is going to school for Meteorology and I also live in WNC :) If it was me why take the chance and go? I know in my area there are thinking around 6+ inches. I am not sure what they are calling for in Raleigh but I just wouldn't take the chance. I would go the next weekend. Hope this helps!

:grouphug::grouphug:

She and dad had already figured we probably wouldn't come. That was easier than I thought! They are even coming home early from the mountains due to the same storm. That's saying something for my folks!

I'll still call tomorrow about noon to say for sure, in case it looks like it will blow over.

If they're already announcing it today, I'm expecting we're at least going to get something - even if it's not the 11" of snow they're saying! Temps are supposed to stay below freezing, so I'd be worried about icy roads. I don't mind driving in the snow, but ice is something else entirely, iykwim?

For giggles, here's one of the "snowcasts": http://www.wral.com/weather/image_gallery/6896929/ :svengo:

I wouldn't. I have to do the 3 hour glucose test in the morning cause I failed the 1 hour one. My mom is here from Greenville to watch the kids while I go to the doctor. As soon as I get home, she is headed home. I'm up by Roanoke Rapids and she is sure she will get stuck if she stays here. She is probably right. Sorry! The timing stinks.