Menu

Is karate helpful for dyslexia?

I have heard that karate can be helpful for children with dyslexia and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with that? My ds 12 has just been dx and could sure use any extra help he could get!

He is a leftie, but is right eye dominate, so we've done some Brain Integration Therapy. We've done lots of things to cross the mid-line, but I really question if it helps or not.

I'm hoping that Karate would help with both the mixed-dominance and the dyslexia.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!

Gayle

Hi, Daisy,

In my experience, YES, karate has been extremely helpful with DS's moderate-to-severe dyslexia, diagnosed 3 weeks before his 9th b-day.

I can write more later if you like, but for now, here are some random thoughts:

crossing the middle line

left and right opposition

sequencing physical moves

These were the things that helped him so much, not to mention the self-esteem issue. He's truly great at karate. He and DD 11 are now 2nd degree black belts.:)

HTH,

Karate, fencing, swimming, horseback riding, and tennis are all activities that seem helpful. I'm sure there are others. Don't believe they are a cure, or you may be disappointed. Crossing midline activities, movement activities, especially those that incorporate rhythm, have been helpful for my children. I suppose it depends on if the child has difficulty with that in the first place. My personal opinion is that movement helps sometimes just to relieve their stress. There is other research that just walking vigorously each day increases cognitive skills in anyone, so any exercise can help learning.

Dyslexia is a complex thing, and it takes a lot of work on many levels to overcome it. Karate was what we used for the large-motor skill work that I felt he needed to do. I bought some books on "Brain Gym" and different things, but we rarely got around to doing it, and he didn't enjoy it/see the point. Karate took the place of all of that for us. The use of the opposite foot/hand combinations and the memorization of longer and longer sequences of moves has been so, so helpful for him. The movement, the balance, the focus, the discipline, all of it. He does several different weapons now that just amaze me-long, long combinations of karate with double sang-ja-bangs (num-chucks) that move so fast they're just a blur.

He had vision therapy as well. He really needed it.

We used the first 2 levels of Barton and then switched to SWR. That worked for him, but every child is different.

He can read absolutely anything now. I honestly didn't know if that would ever happen.

You know, my ds was doing karate before we even suspected dyslexia, he started at just barely 6 yo. So I am uncertain if it "helped".

But now, almost 4.5 years later, what I do think has been incredibly beneficial has been the discipline of an activity for 5 years, and the ability to see that his hard work has resulted in advancement. My son will test for a black belt in May, and he reviews and practice each of the forms on a daily basis to prepare. He very much understands that hard work pays off.

It has been very helpful, as we have done the hard work to remediate dyslexia, to remind him that, like his hard work and daily practice in karate, his hard work in reading will make him successful; it takes time and daily work-- and it isn't always fun but it is fun we he accomplishes the goals.

What I think has helped the most? Vision therapy along with a Lexia program and associated vision therapy practice. We have seen dramatic improvements in 6 months.

Good luck!

Thanks for the helpful replies! My son had vision therapy a few years ago and it really helped. There are still issues related to the dyslexia, but I think the vision therapy was good. I had him rechecked about 6 months ago and he seems to be doing fine eye-wise.

I think I'm going to give karate a try. Anything that crosses the midline should help. I don't expect a cure, but I want to give it a try. Couldn't hurt.

I've looked at Kenpo karate and a more traditional type (which I don't know the name for... it's Japanese, I think). Is there a difference with the moves? I'm wondering if it would accomplish the same things.

Thanks!

Gayle

If you can find a Filipino Martial Art ( Kali, Escrima, Arnis) near you then that might be a great choice since these arts promote ambidexterity by forcing the students to use both sides of their body at the same time. They also cross the midline quite a bit.

Most of the Chinese Kung-Fu systems involve flowing motions that will cross the midline doing their forms. If none of these are available then I would go with the Kenpo Karate since depending on which Kenpo system it is may have some Chinese or Filipino influences.

My son is in Kenpo/ MMA (mixed martial arts) and it has done wonders for him. We started this past summer. He does not have dyslexia but he does have AS and they sometimes have problems crossing the midline as well. HTH :001_smile: