Menu

5th-6th grade Human Biology recommendations, please

LauraGB

We are winging our biology this year - after studying cells and such, then animals (using various encyclopedias and then doing an in depth report on something every other week), its time to start on humans. What are you using (and liking) for this age group? I want something thorough and fun, and I'm not convinced I can go about it the same way we have been for animals. I'd like to spend about 8-12 intensive weeks on human bio, then move on to earth/nature in the late spring.

Any suggestions?

We are using free lessons plans from Guest Hollow. It is a complete Human Body curriculum created by a homeschool mom. It is VERY thorough IMO with more books, videos & activities than you would probably want to do in one week (well, you MIGHT want to do it all depending on how in depth you want to take it). She even has links to coordinating worksheets, which I found to be a nice bonus. You could easily pick the topics or weeks you want to study and leave out the stuff that you've either already covered or are not interested in.

For example, I am adding in several other books & sort of rewriting her schedule to fit the books I have on hand. I bought the books from Winter Promise's Jr/Sr High Forensic/Human Body Science and I am scheduling them in to make it more difficult for my 9th grader.

The books that are scheduled are very inexpensive on Amazon or Half.com, and all but a couple were available at my very small public library. I even found 3 on Paperback Swap.

Cindy

We're planning to do the human body in a one week "camp" this summer (so 5-7 hours a day for five days), but I think it's probably equivalent to 8-10 weeks of science if done less intensively. What I'm working with to plan the week:

The Way We Work

Nova Inside the Human Body DVDs

• Science in a Nutshell's Human Body Cluster

• Seymour Simon's books on body parts/systems. They're written for a slightly younger audience but I think they'll make good introductory materials.

• The fingerprint and blood typing kits recommended in the new WTM for 5th grade biology

HTH

Wow - thank you all so much! I was able to find many of the suggestions at the library and put those on hold. I'm feeling such relief!!

The Way We Work

Nova Inside the Human Body DVDs

• Science in a Nutshell's Human Body Cluster

• Seymour Simon's books on body parts/systems. They're written for a slightly younger audience but I think they'll make good introductory materials.

• The fingerprint and blood typing kits recommended in the new WTM for 5th grade biology

HTH

That helps tons! I've added The Way We Work to my Amazon cart (I didn't know he did the human body - we just love his other books!) and I was able to add all the Nova DVDs to my Netflix queue along with a Nat. Geo. Inside the Living Body that I found while digging around in there.

Thanks again!!