Menu

Will we have trouble moving from TT Alg I to Saxon Alg II

He's doing Jacobs Geometry at a co-op. The co-op thing is working well.

I'm considering having him take Alg II next year. They do use Saxon for Algebra courses.

Will we have a smooth transition, or is there something he may need shoring up on? Math programs teach different things at different times.

I'm just hoping someone out there is familiar with the two to save us doing every Alg I test to see and purchaing Alg II early just so he's not surprised come Aug.

TIA

As one who did it I, I would never again start the Saxon program befor Algebra I. It is just too different and builds on itself. I'm not sure if the Algebra has changed since the Geometry program has been added, but for the old sequence this would not be a good idea.

I don't really know what TT Algebra I teaches, but I do know Saxon is had to jump into between the two Algebras.

Linda

It would be a VERY difficult transition.

I've taught Saxon many times before--and I would NEVER recommend starting Saxon at the Algebra 2 or Advanced Math level... their methods are just too--'different'. Also the scope and sequence between the two programs is so different that you would need to work TT's Algebra 2 text to be READY for Saxon's Algebra 2.

It just did not work!!! There were too many things she did not know from previous books...even farther back than the Algebra 1 book. She self-tested through the Algebra 1 book while doing Geometry. (She had previously done TT Algebra 1 and was working on TT Geometry.) It was just too different of an approach. Jann was right...I should have listened!!!

She has very seamlessly moved into an Intermediate Algebra book my dd20 used at community college. Wonderfully clear explanations and with Dad's occasional help, she's doing great!

I think Lial's books are great...my ds12 is using Basic College Math. Dd is using a book by Tobey and Slater just because that's what we had...it is also a wonderful book...similar to Lial's. She also used the BCM book in middle school. Great pre-algebra book. Great series.

hth,

Robin

AGH! So what are our options at this point? I tried Lial's BCM with this child and he was very much against it. We need something structured and very clear in lesson requirements. He's not an assuming student - well, he assumes he doesn't have to do most of it :lol:

Anyway,

he's currently doing geom at a coop with Jacobs and finding it easier than algebra and thinks he'll forget most of the algebra he learned last year.

He has a full schedule, is in 10th grade and I need a plan for the future for budgeting sake.

So sounds like doing Alg II at the co-op with Saxon is out.

I see his choices as

1) work on a Saxon Alg I book while he's doing the geom - not a fav as he's already working very hard

2) after geom is over, move right into TT Alg II

I feel like we're behind with that choice (thanks alot Jann) not necessarily because of TT, but because he's already in 10th grade and I think there's one more TT level (Alg II, he should have under his belt before taking the PSAT in the falL???)

The great thing about this choice though is that TT Alg I worked for him after he got his mind set on doing the work. We tried CD Alg I and he very much disliked that. Felt the book was too confusing on it's assignments. I'm ok with TT, don't get me wrong, I just am feeling like he should be a whole year further than where he is at this point if we're using that program.

Thanks for your help so far.

Edited by momee

Honestly if your son likes TT and you can afford it then begin TT's Algebra 2 as soon as you can--this spring or this summer. TT teaches to the SAT test --so their Algebra 2 program will teach what he needs to know. The Algebra 2 concepts that are NOT tested on the SAT were deffered to TT's Pre-Calc text... so he can move on to that one once he is done with their Algebra 2. Once finished with TT's Pre-Calc he would have completed his Algebra 2 (compared with other programs) and will have an OVERVIEW of Pre-Calc since the Pre-Calc portion is only 50 lessons and most (standard) Pre-Calc texts have enough information/concepts to easily be spread out over 3 semesters! Still it may be enough for a mathy student to move on to Calc...

I have ZERO problems with the teaching in TT. I just don't agree with their scope and sequence and the way they labeled their program's levels.

As far as the Lial program and scheduling Intro and Intermediate Algebras (Algebra 1 and 2) are EASY to schedule. Assign the odds in each section (I usually skip the first group of problems--and the 'relating concepts' section). Each section is 2 days of work. I assign ALL of the Chapter Review problems (2-3 days allowed) and use the Chapter Tests in the book. Each lesson can also be broken down this way: The student reads the first example and works the practice problems--if they understand then they can do the HOMEWORK problems that go with that example then move on to the NEXT example...3-4 examples per day on average...

Also note that Pre-Calc is not a real requirement for Calculus. Students used to go right from an Algebra 2 course that touched on Trig into Calculus... once more students started taking Calculus it became evident that MOST were not really prepared for the abstract/critical thinking required so the 'Pre-Calc' course was created to bridge the gap. Besides expanding Algebra a bit more (College Algebra/Algebra 3) and a semester of Trig, Pre-Calc gives students a slower introduction into the THINKING skills required for Calc--it also gives students an extra year to MATURE mathematically/logically... and that year can make a world of difference!