Menu

Anyone paint over their plaster walls?

We have an old home and two walls in our family room have a plaster textured finish. I want to paint and someone said you can buy textured paint, like with sand in it, to create a neat look. Any wannabe interior designers here care to give me some advice? I'm way out of my league.

thanks,

lisa

My dh did this is our old house, it turned out gorgeous, I miss those walls. He didn't use sand texture, but did a base color and a wash of a darker shade over it. The base was a golden tan color and the wash was a brown sienna-type shade. It really picked up the texture in the walls. I think he used rags to the the top shade.

We have an old home and two walls in our family room have a plaster textured finish. I want to paint and someone said you can buy textured paint, like with sand in it, to create a neat look. Any wannabe interior designers here care to give me some advice? I'm way out of my league.

thanks,

lisa

Oh, that paint with the sand in it is awful. It may look nice, but if you brush up against it or fall against it you will have horrible skin abrasions. I had to take out the dry wall in dd's room because it had sand.

My dh did this is our old house, it turned out gorgeous, I miss those walls. He didn't use sand texture, but did a base color and a wash of a darker shade over it. The base was a golden tan color and the wash was a brown sienna-type shade. It really picked up the texture in the walls. I think he used rags to the the top shade.

We did something similiar on ours. We have plaster walls with wallpaper on them. We painted over the wallpaper, because it will not come off.:glare:

It is pretty. We did our entrance area, going up the stairs, with that. It took a bit of work. But my dh did a great job. :001_smile:

This sounds really nice!! Do you have any idea where I can find tips on how to do this?

thanks,

lisa

This sounds really nice!! Do you have any idea where I can find tips on how to do this?

thanks,

lisa

You could ask at Lowe's or Home Depot, although you might get better advice by going to an actual paint store, like Sherwin Williams.

I know my dh painted the base coat with a roller. I can't remember if he used actual glazing in the top coat or simply watered down the paint.

The one thing I do remember is that once you start on the top coat you need to finish the room and it's better if one person does it all. It's hard to match someone else's technique and doing it all at once ensures an even tone throughout the room.

I have done sponge painting that looks gorgeous. We bought a funny-looking natural sponge roller and a regular roller. We applied the base coat with the smooth roller. Then we applied a lighter shade on top with the sponge roller--to do this you get paint on the roller, then roll most of it OFF onto newspaper, then roll onto the wall for a mottled effect. Finally, take a natural sea sponge and blot here and there to spruce it up.

What I liked about this is that the mottled finish hides the cracks and imperfections of a plaster wall in the most wonderful way. (I have a 110to fixer-upper.)

My sil did a color-wash finish that looked beautiful. She applied the base coat with a normal smooth roller. The color wash consisted of a lighter shade of paint mixed with the special color wash stuff. She then wiped that lighter shade on lightly with a sponge in big C-shapes. She learned to do this from a short instructional video at the paint store.

You can probably find YouTube videos to show you how to do these.

Oh, that paint with the sand in it is awful. It may look nice, but if you brush up against it or fall against it you will have horrible skin abrasions. I had to take out the dry wall in dd's room because it had sand.

:iagree: Don't use the sand paint. You will regret it. It is impossible to get even coverage.