Menu

3rd grade reading- how many minutes per day? Aloud or silently or both?

lotsofpumpkins

For 3rd grade reading, dd will read "real books" as opposed to using a curriculum. How much should I assign per day? Right now her school reading is done 100% outloud so I can catch mistakes and then discuss with her. She does tons of silent reading for fun. At what point do I start having her do the school reading silently too? Or should I have her read some aloud and then go off for a certain amount of time and continue reading silently on her own? And then for discussion- do I just ask, "What did you read today?" and have her narrate? Right now we are using the Emerging Reader's schedule from HOD and it has specific questions to ask each day. Are specific questions necessary, or is a general discussion okay?

We usually choose a book for dd to read aloud to me for reading class and she chooses books to read silently to herself for free reading. Right now she's reading The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis for reading. I like to have her read a chapter a day, but if it's rather long we just complete 1/2, or I'll read a few pages for her when she's getting fatigued. For free reading she sometimes reads chapter books and sometime picture books. I don't really monitor her free reading too closely. She's a great reader and has proven to me that she comprehends what she reads, so I don't make her narrate to me what she has read.

I can't answer all your questions as I'm not there yet. My DD just turned seven and is in grade two. She is not quite reading fluently... and definitely not reading silently on her own. She is just slightly starting to show signs that she is enjoying reading... slightly.... :001_smile:

Anyhow, the amount of time that I've heard recommended for reading time is 15-20 min. Lessons are better kept shorter in the earlier years.

As far as narration, keep it fun and change things up. There are lots of narration ideas here: http://simplycharlottemason.com/timesavers/narration/

At what point do I start having her do the school reading silently too?

Ds reads history and science aloud. That way we are on the same page... :lol: stupid pun, but it was funny!

Or should I have her read some aloud and then go off for a certain amount of time and continue reading silently on her own?

Ds does his additional readings silently.

And then for discussion- do I just ask, "What did you read today?" and have her narrate?

We narrate anything read "for class." If it's an assigned reading, which he does 30 min a day, then he has to have a narration for his reading folder. If it's history or science, he narrates and it goes wherever appropriate.

Right now we are using the Emerging Reader's schedule from HOD and it has specific questions to ask each day. Are specific questions necessary, or is a general discussion okay?

For ds' fun reading, we discuss it at dinner. Since we're together all the time, it's about the only "fresh" stuff we have for conversation ;) The only reading ds does with specific questions are for history and science. I rarely use units for books, but when we did Narnia I had a question list. I don't think they're necessary at all, but if I have them I use them.

For 3rd grade it is still important to sit with them while they read, to make sure they are reading correctly.

I have mine read Abeka readers cuz we really like them, but you can read what ever.

I don't believe in making "reading" a class, cuz they will probely end up hating it.

It's really good that your child reads on their own for silent time, that is important.

Usually, in 4th or so if they child is a good reader, you don't have to sit with them anymore. Just set a timer for 1/2 hour or so and let them sit down quietly and read.

HTH

Dd reads out loud to me a chapter a day (from a reader I have chosen, I use Sonlight or Winter Promise lists and go to the library). She then reads to herself for 30 minutes before she goes to bed (different reader, she chooses this reader when we go to the library). We also spend quite a bit of time each day with mom reading to her.

During "school" time, my 3rd grader reads 20-30 min. on his own silently. I usually ask him just to tell me the best part of what he read. Nothing formal. Then, when he works with me he reads 10min. out loud to me in a book just above his reading level. As he reads we stop and discuss along the way. I'm thinking of adding 5 min. to this time because 10 is really too short.

The books he reads on his own are usually either science or history related or good classical literature. The reading he does with me is usually history centered (but sometimes just a good classic). We just started the Middle Ages and right now ds is reading a version of Beowulf to me.

He also reads every night before bed on his own just for fun. I don't have anything to do with choosing these books.(other than making sure they are appropriate!)