Menu

Mammoth Math and word problems

Scuff

I use MM light blue for 1.5 years now starting with 1st grade MM.

There are definitely enough word problems and they're good. We do have CWP though and we use it for challenge. So I just use the challenging problem section only.

MM author also endorses the use of CWP for extra hard word problems. So don't sell your CWP just yet. It's OOP, you know ..

I have and are using the light blue series for grades 1, 2 and 4 and most lessons (not all) have a page of word problems to do. Grade 1 did a really good job of explaining how to work word problems and the words to focus on.

Amy

There are definitely enough word problems and they're good. We do have CWP though and we use it for challenge. So I just use the challenging problem section only.

MM author also endorses the use of CWP for extra hard word problems. So don't sell your CWP just yet. It's OOP, you know ..

:iagree:

I've used MM1, 2, 4, & 5. The word problems in MM are excellent, but many people like to supplement with CWP (or similar) for extra challenge. DS11 in particular needed help learning to "translate" word problems to numbers, so I liked having a book I could pull problems from for extra practice.

Most kids probably wouldn't need to supplement with extra word problems, but you might want to hang onto CWP until you have MM in hand and decide if it's enough. Since CWP is out of print now, if you sell it and decide later you want it, you'll have a hard time getting another one!

Jackie