Menu

Do you do R&S grammar without the TE?

Ali in OR

For R&S grammar 3 and 4, I bought the teacher's editions and both years the TE mostly sat on the shelf. I'm contemplating buying only the student book for R&S 5 to save money. If I haven't been using the TE for the earlier levels, will I miss not having it for grade 5?

We're pretty casual in how we use R&S. Lots of it is done orally. We do the tests but I correct them myself without a key.

I found that R&S just gradually got a bit more complex each year (Gr 2-6 anyway) and so if you are actually doing the exercises along with the child, mostly orally, you will probably readily check the child's work in the subsequent level(s). So, in your situation, I'd imagine you'll be fine w/o the TM so long as you keep using R&S as you are now. . . (You can always buy it later if things change.)

Personally, I liked having the TM (at least for the older grades) b/c after Gr 3 or so, I often had the dc self-teach by reading the book and then do the exercises. Using the TM, I could quickly check the exercises w/o having to think. If you don't mind thinking, you'll likely be fine w/o the TM. LOL.

For R&S grammar 3 and 4, I bought the teacher's editions and both years the TE mostly sat on the shelf. I'm contemplating buying only the student book for R&S 5 to save money. If I haven't been using the TE for the earlier levels, will I miss not having it for grade 5?

We're pretty casual in how we use R&S. Lots of it is done orally. We do the tests but I correct them myself without a key.

Your grammar skills must be great, mine are not. In '99 my oldest started with R&S 3 and I really needed the TE. He went all the way through R&S 8 and I couldn't imagine not having the TE right there for my use. When DS 2 went through R&S grammar I used it again, not as frequently but still used it.

Now, for math I never need the TE except for when DS hit calculus. Same for the sciences. Grammar though, I need the TE. If your comfortable with answering the questions and diagramming then don't get it. I only use it for confirming taht we did an exercise correctly.

Carole

I use the one for level 3 so that I can remember to do the review, and have the explanations. I like having some sort of script (that's why I picked Saxon at first! lol). I also like having the answers, even tho we do a lot orally and it isn't above my level of expertise just yet!