Menu

a question for those who lapbook

I have 3 kids ages 9,8 and 5. I want to lapbook once in a while with my kids...my plan is to do only one of each kind of lapbook (not 3), but even then, I have a hard time figuring out when during the day when to add this to our schedule...the topics may or may not go along with curriculum...like for example, I found a super neat one on Currclick on the Olympics that I want to do...but finding the time is so hard. So what I wanted to know is how do you find time for extra things...suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

we're doing a space one but that goes along with the curriculum in a way. We stopped and really focused on each planet and that is our science time. Right now DS is interested in the topic but DD is the one who LOVES to fill in all the blanks for the workbook. When we finish, we'll go right back into e=mcq science

I'm not sure that I would have time if it wasn't something I was building in as one of the major subjects.

We do them. My DD is doing one with the Apologia Science text. We bought the CDrom from Rainbow Resource and just printed all the pages.

DS is doing the free ones from homeschoolshare.com with the Before Five in a Row and Five in a Row books.

We just add them in with what they are already doing, I have never done them as something on the side.

One thing I found helpful to know...you can get a huge box of the file folders at costco (sams club etc) and it is very helpful to have a long bed stapler.

Well, the short answer of how I find time for the extra things is pretty much that I don't. :001_huh: Honestly, I've stopped download the free lapbooks and things from Currclick because we simply don't get to them unless I substitute them for something we are currently doing.

To fit in the Olympics unit, I would substitute it for your current history studies, if you're doing history. You could talk about how the history of the Olympics and simply do the lapbook when you would normally do history.

Other than that, while I love the look of some of the extras out there, I simply ignore them and stick to our curriculum during school time.

I guess I'm not much help, but I AM honest about how we're doing it. :D

ETA: If it is a lapbook for a topic we are studying- like the Apologia lapbooks or the Middle Ages lapbook I did with SOTW2, I simply put aside some of our time spent on those subjects (total- 3 hours per week each) to work on the lapbook (usually about 1 hour or so out of the week) until we are done. Usually that means that the dc don't read living books on the subject but work on the lapbook instead. We continue on with our work on the Spine (being it Apologia, REAL science, SOTW, etc.)

Edited by plain jane

ok..it sounds like I am NOT doing something wrong with my day as I feared...I thought maybe I was not using my time wisely as I should, thus not having extra time for other things...what I don't understand is how do those who have more kids than us get it all done...I am just thankful for getting accomplished what we do...but wishing I could do more. But I guess it is ok to substitute a lapbook for something else once in a while...balance is the key I guess...now I am just rambling.

thanks ladies

ok..it sounds like I am NOT doing something wrong with my day as I feared...I thought maybe I was not using my time wisely as I should, thus not having extra time for other things...what I don't understand is how do those who have more kids than us get it all done...I am just thankful for getting accomplished what we do...but wishing I could do more. But I guess it is ok to substitute a lapbook for something else once in a while...balance is the key I guess...now I am just rambling.

thanks ladies

I don't know if everybody "gets it all done" all the time, kwim? I suppose you could if you did nothing but school all day, but I don't think that's healthy for most (young especially) kids or mom. Likely, when you hear of people getting this, that, or the other extra thing done, it's likely at the expense of something else.

For example, I have a friend who gets a bunch of lapbooks done all the time. I was astounded as to how she did it since we do similar subjects, though using different materials. I finally learned that (and this is only one example of the big differences between our teaching that you wouldn't necessarily see on paper), while I am doing approx. 1 hour of Latin x 5 days per week, she only does 1/2 hour of Spanish total per week. I had no idea!! I just figured, I'm doing Latin, she's doing Spanish, it's a wash for time. Well, that's 4.5 hours that she has that I don't. While things may sound good and people can talk about all the stuff they are doing, more isn't necessarily better if it's not being done well.

Just my 2cents. :) I wouldn't worry too much about your schedule. If it's something you really want to cover, it's okay to sub things out and change this up every once in a while.

I took my two older kids OUT of PS and have never put my 5 year old in, but I was so wanting to make our days different that what they were getting at PS...and lapbooking just seems like a fun way to learn and also show family members (grandparents etc) what we are doing in school. Thanks for your input.

We often lapbook the novels or non-fiction books my daughter is currently reading. We complete the parts of the lapbook that correspond with what we have read that day. This way the task is not overwhelming and is spread out over a few weeks. I use lapbooking as a way to evaluate comprehension, retention, sequencing and narration. It's so much more fun that worksheets. :lol:

We often lapbook the novels or non-fiction books my daughter is currently reading. We complete the parts of the lapbook that correspond with what we have read that day. This way the task is not overwhelming and is spread out over a few weeks. I use lapbooking as a way to evaluate comprehension, retention, sequencing and narration. It's so much more fun that worksheets. :lol:

excellent idea...but with the speed that my daughter reads we would be doing a new lapbook every couple hours...:001_smile:...so I guess that is where picking and choosing come into play, huh??? Do you know, has anyone made free or super cheap lapbooks on the American Girls?

We do most of our lapbooks for history and science.

I get them from http://www.handsofachild.com/shop/.

We just finished learning about Jamestown so we did a Jamestown lapbook.

In the past we have done ones on Martin Luther King Jr., Teddy Roosevelt, biomes (separate books on grasslands, wetlands, etc), Antarctica, Africa.

We have done a ton of lapbooks!