Menu

Need info about hsing in Raleigh, NC (x-post)...job prospect for hubby there..

My husband is being recruited for a very desirable job prospect in the Raleigh area. (Please note that we are at the very beginning of this process, so we don't know that we are moving yet.)

However, before we get too far down the path, I would like to know more about the hsing resources in the Triangle area, as I tain't moving anywhere without feeling good about hsing support.

For those who live in this area, I would love any feedback/info/resources you have to share! Feel free to forward links to me, if my questions are best answered elsewhere. I tried doing an online search but it didn't yield anything in detail. Specifically, I'm looking for:

What kind of co-ops (if any) are available? Are there any hsing-only activities for music, gymnastics, museum classes, etc? (I don't necessarily care if there are ps kids involved, it's just nice to have classes that area available during school hours for hsers.) How large is the hsing community there? Are there any charter schools or part-time enrollment options for elementary students? (Even though we are legally considered hsers, my son attends one day of enrichment classes here through the local school district and loves it.)

Feel free to pm me as well. I appreciate any info you have to share. Thanks in advance!

I am not in Raleigh now but used to live there(3 different times actually, lol).

I really can't comment on hsing in NC or Raleigh. There are lots of NC people to do that. But I did want to comment that Raleigh is a nice place to raise a family. When we lived there with kids we found playgroups right away and made best friends right away. Many of those friends went on to try h'sing but some are back in the ps system or private school. But in all our moves(we move a lot!) Raleigh was the easiest place to find a group and make friends.

There is a science Museum downtown and one in Durham. You are close enough to get to other places in NC with other museums for a day trip. Lots of large parks and sports groups available. It's a very family friendly IMHO.

Colleen should have told you about the hs store she found recently there. She said it was very good!!!

I hope the other NC gals will pipe in here. I grew up in NC and lived literally in all areas of the state but we left before h'sing and can't comment on specific groups. I am pretty sure you would find plenty of them. Do you know what area the job is in? North Raleigh is nice as well as some of the northern small towns outside of Raleigh. Cary/Apex is nice too. I suspect you would find groups in all those suburb areas. So if the job hinges on you liking Raleigh and h'sing you will be ok.

I lived near Seattle for 4 years and LOVED WA state. not sure where you are from....but NC is a 4 season place. Spring/Fall are nice, summer is hot and humid and winter can be cold with a little ice and snow thrown in but it melts quickly. The NC beaches are wonderful and you aren't too far from mtns to go skiing. Raleigh actually has a lot of trails for hiking/biking and lakes for fishing/boating.

hope this helps a little. Share the name of the store Colleen!

Homeschooling is very popular here, which means there are lots of activities, support groups, co-ops, etc. There is even a WTM moms group that meets once a month in Cary. There is a homeschool store that sells both new and used items, The Homeschool Gathering Place.

Here is where my kids "go to school" on Fridays: http://www.providencetutorials.com.

Because this is the Bible belt, a lot of the homeschool groups and co-ops are Christian. If you're looking for secular, there will be some opportunities out there but they'll be a little harder to find.

There have been some homeschool activities available for gymnastics, dance, YMCA, etc. But it really depends on demand. They are not necessarily available on an ongoing basis unless there is sufficient interest to keep it going. A good place to ask questions is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/spice-line/. This group is run by a very conservative Christian, but even if you're not, it can be a good way to get information about all the homeschool events going on in the area.

Homeschoolers are not permitted to attend school part-time or participate in ps sports. However, there are some homeschool sports leagues available.

Sorry this is all kind of jumbled. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

I am 45 min. north of Raleigh right now.

There are at least 2 hs stores in Raleigh. (Homeschool Gathering Place & Homelight Books) I know of at least 1 hs sports league (Lighthouse) that competes against private schools in the area in a VAST array of sports. There are many co-ops that I have heard about. Their library system is to die for (imo) - I live in the next co. over but I use my mom's card b/c they have such great books, you can put tons on hold, and there is no check-out limit. I also grew up in Raleigh and I think it's a pretty great place to live :)

Edited by kmacnchs

I am 45 min. north of Raleigh right now.

There are at least 2 hs stores in Raleigh. (Homeschool Gathering Place & Homelight Books) I know of at least 1 hs sports league (Lighthouse) that competes against private schools in the area in a VAST array of sports. There are many co-ops that I have heard about. Their library system is to die for (imo) - I live in the next co. over but I use my mom's card b/c they have such great books, you can put tons on hold, and there is no check-out limit. I also grew up in Raleigh and I think it's a pretty great place to live :)

Homelight Books closed in May. It was only 10 minutes away from me and I am friends with the owners, so it was very sad.

Homelight Books closed in May. It was only 10 minutes away from me and I am friends with the owners, so it was very sad.

:001_huh::sad: Oh, so sad. I did not know that. Although to be honest, it is cheaper to buy from people on this board and from Amazon so I guess I'm not surprised...

• 3 months later...

and we still go there to visit family. My cousin who raised three kids there, always spoke of the many educational choices available to her. There is an Edward McKay's used bookstore, too, which makes visiting Raliegh alright for my kids!

LBS

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dbl_my_luv

Can I jump in and ask for more information about co-ops? We're currently in PA and hubby is in the same boat with regard to being early in the process of applying for a job in NC...

Here in PA, we have a co-op that meets twice per week. There are 5 families currently involved and the moms each teach classes according to their interests and expertise. I have a computer science class prepared that I was to teach next year if I'm here. Am I correct that according to NC state law, that type of co-op can't happen? So what is a co-op in NC?

TIA!

• 1 month later...

I LOVE homeschooling in the triangle. There are tons of homeschoolers of every stripe and tons of opportunities. I grew up in Durham and my father commuted to downtown Raleigh. There are rapidly developing areas of north Raleigh that are very accessible to Durham. Museums and businesses are very aware of the homeschool community and are happy to work with them. For support groups, if you are looking for Christian, check out Christian Home Educators of Greater Durham (CHEAGD). For a non-sectarian group, check out Chapel Hill Homeschoolers (which has members from all over the triangle and beyond). I don't always check the boards regularly, but feel free to pm me.

Can I jump in and ask for more information about co-ops? We're currently in PA and hubby is in the same boat with regard to being early in the process of applying for a job in NC...

Here in PA, we have a co-op that meets twice per week. There are 5 families currently involved and the moms each teach classes according to their interests and expertise. I have a computer science class prepared that I was to teach next year if I'm here. Am I correct that according to NC state law, that type of co-op can't happen? So what is a co-op in NC?

TIA!

Most co-ops and classes meet only once per week to make sure they are within the guidelines of the law. The law requires that the primary teaching be done at home by the homeschool parent.