Menu

dehydrated mom nursing baby (2 month old)

Hi There,

Dehydrated Mom.. low milk supply

What advise would you give. I have little since I never had supply problems. What would you say?? What should she eat? Drink? and how is supplementing going to harm the nursing problem?

And... if she's going to supplement, should she have the baby suck for a few minutes on her first? Ten minutes? how long?

I know we have some knowledgeable moms on here.... and some Lactation consultants:-)

Are you on??

Thanks!!

:-)

Edited by NayfiesMama

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but a very good friend of mine always drank at least 8oz of water every time she nursed. She carried her water bottle everywhere (she allowed her children to wean themselves so was nursing them into toddlerhood) and was always, always taking sips, but drank in earnest whenever she sat down to nurse.

Lots of water, almonds, and oatmeal. I have heard that these can increase milk supply. She can also take some blessed thistle which also increases milk supply. I would keep a pitcher of water and a jar of almonds by the chair I would nurse in. Whenever I was nursing I would just grab just a few almonds and snack on them and then I would just sip on water while I was nursing.

I would not supplement with formula unless the baby's health was at risk. Formula curdles in the tummy and takes longer to digest which is quite the opposite of breast milk. So she can profoundly decrease her milk supply if she supplements on a regular basis.

Stress can also profoundly affect breastfeeding which is why when you nurse, your body releases a hormone that causes you to relax and makes you ver sleepy. She should take the breastfeeding time that she has as opportunites to relax. Sit in a comfy chair and put her feet up.

Is the mom dehydrated because she is ill? Is she not able to keep down fluids? It is easy to rehydrate a mom unless she's ill. If she is ill, in an ideal universe, I'd get her IV fluids & put the baby to breast & shove them both into bed for 48h.

Supplementing is problematic because

a) it results in reduced stimulation to the breasts & therefore down-regulates the supply further. This can be sometimes partly alleviated by aggressive pumping with a hospital grade pump + massage but not all women's breasts will respond as well to the pump as to the baby. In face, IME, MOST women's breasts don't respond as well to the pump

b) it permanently changes the gut of the baby by introducing foreign proteins and exposing the infant to potential allergens. See Just One Bottle Won't Hurt - or Will It? (the answer is it will btw for those who don't have time to read it :))

c) it can lead to nipple confusion or a simple preference on behalf of the infant to get an 'easy meal'

d) it attacks the women's self confidence in her ability to nourish the infant at the breast

While the prime prerogative for any lactation consultant is to 'feed the baby', the second prerogative is to not harm the nursing relationship.

I'd need to know more about the mother's condition. Does she have a severe GI upset which is preventing her from becoming fully hydrated? Barring hospitalization with an IV, she could be taking an anti-emetic (suppository possibly) and drinking gatorade, mother's milk tea, pedialyte or home made oral rehydration solution. Recipes for ORS are here. Lots of small sips is the key.

I have more questions than answers. What kind of medical support does she have? What is the medical community telling her? How was milk supply and nursing established? Are bottles, pacifiers or supplementation happening? Is she nursing on demand or a schedule? What lead to the dehydration (and who diagnosed it?) Was she ill?

A mom's body should be able to produce adequate milk if the mom has a normal diet of food and liquid.

If she is indeed dehydrated, she can sip water, tea, diluted juice until her body is back to where she needs to be.

Is the mom dehydrated because she is ill? Is she not able to keep down fluids? It is easy to rehydrate a mom unless she's ill. If she is ill, in an ideal universe, I'd get her IV fluids & put the baby to breast & shove them both into bed for 48h.

Supplementing is problematic because

a) it results in reduced stimulation to the breasts & therefore down-regulates the supply further. This can be sometimes partly alleviated by aggressive pumping with a hospital grade pump + massage but not all women's breasts will respond as well to the pump as to the baby. In face, IME, MOST women's breasts don't respond as well to the pump

b) it permanently changes the gut of the baby by introducing foreign proteins and exposing the infant to potential allergens. See Just One Bottle Won't Hurt - or Will It? (the answer is it will btw for those who don't have time to read it :))

c) it can lead to nipple confusion or a simple preference on behalf of the infant to get an 'easy meal'

d) it attacks the women's self confidence in her ability to nourish the infant at the breast

While the prime prerogative for any lactation consultant is to 'feed the baby', the second prerogative is to not harm the nursing relationship.

I'd need to know more about the mother's condition. Does she have a severe GI upset which is preventing her from becoming fully hydrated? Barring hospitalization with an IV, she could be taking an anti-emetic (suppository possibly) and drinking gatorade, mother's milk tea, pedialyte or home made oral rehydration solution. Recipes for ORS are here. Lots of small sips is the key.

Agreed.