Menu

would like history planning help

pie

my dd is a 10yo 5th grader and we started homeschooling last year. She had not had any history in ps so we started with SOTW1 and AG. She loved it, but didn't retain much. This is our second year and at her request we are doing SOTW2 and AG. Assuming we do SOTW3 next year for 6th grade and SOTW4 for 7th grade, where do we go after that? We have not had any state history (Texas). Would that be next? I am unclear on the progression when you don't start homeschooling from the start. Also, should I buy the tests for SOTW to see if that helps with retention?thanks for any advice,

Pie

ps she has also read some in CHOW and TCOO

Edited by pie
left out something

I've been finding that the more my dd9 interacts with the material, the more she retains. I AM ordering the tests, fwiw.

Does your child write narrations? Do you do projects and readings in the encyclopedia or from historical fiction? We also reinforce with a timeline--we go thru it from time to time and just "reminisce" about what we've done.

As far as what is next, you might consider just jumping into the rotation again in 8th grade. Are you going to do Great Books? If you are ok with religious materials, you might check into Omnibus from Veritas Press. If you do Ancients in 8th, you can have your senior year to cover government and or economics as extras. Alternatively, you can take a year to dig deeper into a topic of interest, or do a geography study.

We cover state history in the context of our world studies--coming from VA, it's easy. Texas history would fit well in Year 3. When my son was in school, they did Texas history by reading these cool newspapers that were written as if they were from the early times in Texas. I think it's easy to supplement.

I have my DD do the tests as a worksheet. She is doing SOTW 1&2 with SL Core 6 (and an additional spine). I would recommend looking at some of the book list or a catalog from some of the different publishers, SL included and consider adding in some of the historical literature. My DD will tell you this really helps cement things for her. We also did modified History Pockets with SOTW 1 and I am looking for something for SOTW 2.

I've been finding that the more my dd9 interacts with the material, the more she retains. I AM ordering the tests, fwiw.

Does your child write narrations? Do you do projects and readings in the encyclopedia or from historical fiction? We also reinforce with a timeline--we go thru it from time to time and just "reminisce" about what we've done.

As far as what is next, you might consider just jumping into the rotation again in 8th grade. Are you going to do Great Books? If you are ok with religious materials, you might check into Omnibus from Veritas Press. If you do Ancients in 8th, you can have your senior year to cover government and or economics as extras. Alternatively, you can take a year to dig deeper into a topic of interest, or do a geography study.

We cover state history in the context of our world studies--coming from VA, it's easy. Texas history would fit well in Year 3. When my son was in school, they did Texas history by reading these cool newspapers that were written as if they were from the early times in Texas. I think it's easy to supplement.

:iagree:

I was going to mention that just reading the SOTW books probably won’t do much, it’s really the extra reading, writing, and thinking about them that help it to stick.

Narration artwork is another way, (in addition to verbal narrations, notebooking, outlining, and summarizing.)

We did some of the tests for SOTW 1, simply because I also think that children should know how to fill in blanks.

Last year she did not read any extra material, but this year we have read some (Beowulf, The Little Duke, The Door in the Wall, Hahn's Da Vinci, and The Bard of Avon) and I think it has helped to get the flavor of the times. I have not done a timeline, but that is a good idea! :) She has How would You Survive the Middle Ages? and The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood checked out from the library right now.

So, you would not teach American history or Texas history separately? Just fold it in as we come to it in our world history class? I will go look at Omnibus now. Thanks!

oh! My daughter does do narrations. Problem is, she does them orally. Doing a written narration is like pulling teeth. Guess I will have to force it...forgive my ignorance, but what is a history pocket? thank you so kindly,

Pie

What about Mapping the World by Art for eighth? Or yes, a US History class would be perfect. Although you may want to look into your state requirements for high school, because you might need two years of American History then. That would be a little much, don't you think? Check the college you are aiming for as well. (if you are)

oh! My daughter does do narrations. Problem is, she does them orally. Doing a written narration is like pulling teeth.

I would focus on reading and writing skills now, and not worry about how much history info. she is retaining. SOTW is great and the AG will be wonderful to use, but if you focus on reading and writing skills, you will probably start to see her retaining info. and interacting with it more. IMO, this is what it's all about - learning skills with which to learn information. Then you apply those skills to the reading, and LEARN from the reading. :) Hope that makes sense.

If written narrations are tough, I highly recommend using Writing With Ease from Peace Hill Press. It will help you systematically teach her how to put her thoughts into coherent sentences, and get those thoughts onto paper.

After she has mastered WWE skills, she can move on to deeper writing skills like outlining and rewriting from an outline. These skills will further help her to learn more information.

And after she finishes going through SOTW, you can just continue to have her practice whatever writing skill she is working on, on another history source, such as the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia or something else that is chronological and appeals to you and her. Think of SOTW and other history "spines" as jumping off points. You read them for basic info., then find other supplemental history and literature reading. And practice writing skills on any of them, as long as writing gets practiced every week.

hth

Edited by Colleen in NS

I would focus on reading and writing skills now, and not worry about how much history info. she is retaining. SOTW is great and the AG will be wonderful to use, but if you focus on reading and writing skills, you will probably start to see her retaining info. and interacting with it more. IMO, this is what it's all about - learning skills with which to learn information. Then you apply those skills to the reading, and LEARN from the reading. :) Hope that makes sense.

If written narrations are tough, I highly recommend using Writing With Ease from Peace Hill Press. It will help you systematically teach her how to put her thoughts into coherent sentences, and get those thoughts onto paper.

After she has mastered WWE skills, she can move on to deeper writing skills like outlining and rewriting from an outline. These skills will further help her to learn more information.

And after she finishes going through SOTW, you can just continue to have her practice whatever writing skill she is working on, on another history source, such as the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia or something else that is chronological and appeals to you and her. Think of SOTW and other history "spines" as jumping off points. You read them for basic info., then find other supplemental history and literature reading. And practice writing skills on any of them, as long as writing gets practiced every week.

hth

:iagree:

My older two were very reluctant writers. Before we started WWE I gave up on narrations with history because they just could not get their thoughts down. We've been doing WWE just since September and now my older two can write a 2-3 sentence narration from each of our history readings (3/week). That's all I expect of them currently and they are doing great! Sometimes they need a little help weeding through the details, but I'm so impressed at how WWE has really taught them to summarize well. We are just starting to do the "pre tests" (I use MOH) as a review of the week to cement things a little more. We also do a timeline. That helps a lot because we use it to review the week. I'm not overly worried about retention right now. They'll go through everything another 2 times at different levels gaining more details as they go. Right now I'm just aiming to hear "Hey, I've heard about that!" when something comes up we've studied. :001_smile: