Menu

Help with curriculum

MaMa2005

I started HSing DS (4) in August. He has run through a PS, K and 1st grade curriculum since then. At the moment, he is reading on a 2.6 grade level and doing 2nd grade math.

I didn't find out about WTM until the end of October. I really want to do SOTW. Should I try to fit in the classics that are recommended for 1st grade this year so I can be on a 'mostly' 2nd grade level next year or just start fresh in August?

I hope this makes sense. DS is adopted from China and has been home 2 years. When he was adopted, he was completely non-verbal. Once he started talking, his hasn't been quiet and just seems to be learning way tooo fast :tongue_smilie:!!!!

I am a retired SPED teacher so am well versed in children 'not getting' it. Just not so well versed in a child who keeps begging for more.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I didn't find out about WTM until the end of October. I really want to do SOTW. Should I try to fit in the classics that are recommended for 1st grade this year so I can be on a 'mostly' 2nd grade level next year or just start fresh in August?

You may find that he also goes through SOTW more quickly, too. Or you may find that he has so much interest that you spend a lot of time supplementing it with other books. I think you just need to jump in and see how it works for him.

With my dd4, I knew she was gifted a long time ago. I knew that her abilities were likely going to be all over the board--she would be more advanced in some areas than others. So it seemed reasonable to me to give her whatever level material she could handle, but at the same time, I envision her graduating high school a year early. With that in mind, we are starting the ancients next school year. She will be of Kindergarten age, doing 2nd-3rd grade work, but we are calling it 1st grade. It is my hope that in that manner, we will get 3 full cycles of history in before she graduates.

I don't know if this will work for us. It is just a starting point.

You may find that he also goes through SOTW more quickly, too. Or you may find that he has so much interest that you spend a lot of time supplementing it with other books.
:iagree: Ancients took us over a year and a half, and we're closing in on two years with Medieval. When we finish (hopefully by September), we'll be right where we "should" be had we started History in first grade.

Since your son is obviously ahead of the curve. . . I would suggest broadening his horizons instead of accelerating the core subjects only. Some acceleration is inevitable with these smarties, but the beauty of brilliance is that you can study many other things as well as the core subjects.

This is a great age start instrument study with Suzuki method. Or start a third/second language. . . Explore art, nature study, science as you are led. . .

You can get SOTW 1 and begin. . . and feel free to take as long as desired to go through it, savoring activities and books. . . as there is no rush.

Enjoy!!!!!!

I'd do some deeper math.... like the abacus:-) ( I got mine from nurtureminds.com ) and find things to go deeper instead of faster:-) Just a thought:-)

:-)

We already have an abacus and he loves it. I would recommend one for every child.

He is already taking Mandarin and Spanish.

Thanks for all the suggestions. More in depth sounds like the way to go.

I am not familiar with Horizons math, so maybe it already has loads of hands on stuff. . . But, if not. . .

You could also look at math manipulatives. . . such as pattern blocks and tangrams. The Patternables and Tangrammables books along with a set of pattern blocks and tangrams provide a lot of creative and educational math experiences.

Peggy Kaye's Games books are also a nice source of extra stuff -- and I have found them particularly helpful for solidifying math facts with kids who tend to grasp the concepts very quickly, but need to nail those facts before getting too far ahead. . .

Also, TOPS books have some really nice hands on science/math stuff that could be great. . . Check it out.