Menu

So, I have this bottle of Holy Water...

When my grandmother passed away a few years ago, my mom and her brothers and sisters went through her things accordingly. My mom gave me, along with a few ther things, a bottle of holy water Grandma had for some reason.

Its a small, cute bottle with a slim neck and a metal screw top. She wrote a label, but its pretty faded. I can make out 'Easter W..... 1973'.

Other than possibly fearing vampires, why in the world would she have something like this? She was Irish Catholic, if that helps. If I'm not mistaken, she lost a son around that time (I really don't know the exact year and I don't feel comfortable asking my mom the exact year/date). Would there have been a reason to keep it from his funeral, it that's the case? Is there some other reason? Is the fact that it is from an Easter mass significant? (can she be in trouble for stealing holy water?!)

Older generations would often have a little bottle of holy water. Some time from a special place (church/holy site). I knew many people who would bring a small bottle back from Ireland or Rome. Some churches has a place where you can fill up the bottles. It is not stolen but freely given away. It is unlikely to be from a funeral.

Edited by OrganicAnn

You can fill up a bottle with Holy Water at any Catholic Church. You use it to bless yourself with the Sign of the Cross as you leave or enter your home or when you get up or go to bed. We have Holy Water at home. Holy Water is blessed for the year at the Easter Vigil Mass and many churches may hand out small bottles. People fill up their bottles then or at any other time of the year.

Blessing oneself with Holy Water is a pious act, not a talisman.

(I take it you are not Catholic. Holy Water is a sacramental, a devotional item. To dispose of the water, you can pour it into the ground where the soil won't be disturbed.)

Many Catholics ( I am one) take little bottles to mass with them and fill them up in the holy water font before or after service.

I use the holy water to bless both myself and my children during the week when I pray over them.

I used it especially, when my oldest daughter was going through a cancer crisis and couldn't attend church with us. I would fill up the bottle with the holy water and bless her with it as I prayed over her and it made her feel so much better.

Blessing and praying with holy water is something I learned in my family from little on up, my grandmother did it with us and now I do it with my own children.

It is a passed down tradition in our family and we all enjoy it.

We are Italian Catholic.

(I take it you are not Catholic. Holy Water is a sacramental, a devotional item. To dispose of the water, you can pour it into the ground where the soil won't be disturbed.)

I was raised Catholic (both my dc are baptised Catholic, too). I am no longer, though. However, my immediate family never did this. I thought it was sacrilegious to just "take" holy water out of the church. Happily, I was very wrong!

ETA Our church only had the holy water near the exits, not a bowl big enough to dip into. I've never seen a font available to everyone and large enough to remove the water.

I don't want to pour it out. I like it. I had it tucked away in a hutch in my living room, but we recently moved the hutch out of there and I found this bottle stowed up there and it made me remember it and wonder what it was for.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by LauraGB

I'm not Catholic, but it sounds like a sweet and meaningful tradition and ritual! How nice!

Reminds me of the time I was on the committee to set up for Communion ... very specific ways we could dispose of the elements after they'd been consecrated. Gave me a greater appreciation for the whole ritual. My kids loved it too, as they helped set up and clean up.

I was raised Catholic (both my dc are baptised Catholic, too). I am no longer, though. However, my immediate family never did this. I thought it was sacrilegious to just "take" holy water out of the church. Happily, I was very wrong!

ETA Our church only had the holy water near the exits, not a bowl big enough to dip into. I've never seen a font available to everyone and large enough to remove the water.

I don't want to pour it out. I like it. I had it tucked away in a hutch in my living room, but we recently moved the hutch out of there and I found this bottle stowed up there and it made me remember it and wonder what it was for.

Thanks everyone!

Laura,

Somewhere in the church there is a water container with holy water. You can get a small plastic clean bottle and ask the priest for some holy water.

Louise

:001_smile: Guess my kids are in trouble...hee hee...they steal holy water every week! My dd7 has a few bottles in her room...she says prayers all over the house to get rid of anything bad! (vampires should be included)

Maybe it is "special" holy water...like water from The Jordan? The church brings it back sometimes. Last week our Catholic church did a renewal of baptism with holy water from The Jordan River...they made a big deal about "that" holy water. Just a thought!

Edited by mchel210

My big kids each got a small bottle of Holy Water in their stockings from Grandma and Grandpa this year. Just my oldest got it last year. Daphne puts a dab on her forhead at bedtime. Jeran, my 6 year old, wasn't sure what to do with it, and was mortified when he spilled a teeny bit. I used a dab to make the sign of the cross on his forehead as a blessing and tucked him into bed.