Menu

RS4K

aready

Does anyone know what age level Real Science 4 Kids Biology Level 1 is for? I am trying to decide between Level 1 and Pre Level 1. Anyone with experience know?

Also- I know it doesn't matter what order you do them in but I remember at a conference the lady in their booth suggested I think Chemistry first.

Just wondering! Any thoughts?

I'm currently using Pre-Level with a 2nd grader and Level 1 with a 5th & 7th grader. It's a little light for the 7th grader, perfect for the 5th grader and I wouldn't again pay money for a pre-level book. There's just not enough in them to justify the expense. I do like the level 1, it's a great intro to chemistry.

HTH

That's a really difficult question. Level I veers between very simple (life cycle of plants, butterfly, frog; water cycle) and much more technical (cell work). I did the whole thing with Calvin when he was about nine, but he grasps abstract ideas very well. With Hobbes, I did the easy bits as review when he was about eight and will do the more complicated bits when he is about ten.

Laura

I loved RS4K pre-level 1 Chemistry so much that I bought the entire Level 1 set. I like the Chemistry, the Physics is so-so, and I think the Biology is very weak. Two whole chapters devoted to the life cycles of butterflies and frogs? I can get a picture book for that. The cell and protozoan chapters are nice, but don't make up for the high price of the program, imho. Maybe nice for supplementary reading, but if I wanted to do Biology I'd look elsewhere.

There's nothing out there like the pre-level 1 Chemistry, though.

I loved RS4K pre-level 1 Chemistry so much that I bought the entire Level 1 set. I like the Chemistry, the Physics is so-so, and I think the Biology is very weak. Two whole chapters devoted to the life cycles of butterflies and frogs? I can get a picture book for that. The cell and protozoan chapters are nice, but don't make up for the high price of the program, imho. Maybe nice for supplementary reading, but if I wanted to do Biology I'd look elsewhere.

There's nothing out there like the pre-level 1 Chemistry, though.

Ditto this. Love the Pre-level and Level 1 Chemistry..

I did the level 1 Chemistry with my 7 yr old. I supplemented with brainpop and youtube videos of Bill Nye. It was okay, but I wasn't super impressed... She learned some vocabulary about chemistry, but it wasn't the most engaging book for her. Perhaps the pre-level 1 would have been a better choice?

I did the level 1 Chemistry with my 7 yr old. I supplemented with brainpop and youtube videos of Bill Nye. It was okay, but I wasn't super impressed... She learned some vocabulary about chemistry, but it wasn't the most engaging book for her. Perhaps the pre-level 1 would have been a better choice?

For a 7yo, Pre-level 1 would have been a much better choice. Much more engaging, and yet still high-level content. Level 1 says it's for grades 3-5, and I'd say more like 4-5. Level 1 was okay, but I loved Pre-level 1.

Yeah, I completely missed point of the question. I am skimming a bit too much lately.

I think level one is challenging for a third grader; my fifth grade dd is doing it again with her siblings. (she’s supposed to be teaching them) But my first grader was a little lost, and even my very bright third grader (who is not as interested in science) needed to dig out the pre-level. So, now we are doing both at the same time. My 5th grade science loving dd is still getting the most out of level one; she is also working through The Elements, which is another fabulous chemistry program.