Menu

Do you cook your own dog food?

Just on a personal note, I do cook food for my dogs from time to time--I wish I had the freezer space to do it more often!

I make a chicken stock every week for our family with a whole chicken, 2 garlic bulbs cut in half and rough chopped carrots, celery, and scallions. I cook that for hours. I divide it out and some of it I use to make dog food. I cook rice in it and add in the carrots and some of the meat from the stock I made. I guess I don't measure too carefully--maybe that's bad? They really love it! The garlic is a natural flea repellent, too, which I like since we've just gotten a handle on the flea infestation we'd had.

I used to during the pet food scare. I mainly focused on meat and no grain or veg at all. I also didn't use store ground meat. I bought muscle meats and liver and cooked them in a crockpot then ground them with the food processor and bagged a daily serving in freezer ziplocks. I would do about 2 weeks worth at a time. I cooked the meat because we don't do the BARF diet since the vet was against it.

I used to for my old doggie. The vet gave me the recipe - complete with how much essential fatty acid (fish oil) and mineral supplement to include! So, I would suggest calling your vet. I remember using a crockpot. I also remember it included chicken, carrots, some other veggies and rice. Dh thought it was good!