Menu

Life of Fred...what grades would you say go with each program?

4kids4me

I'm trying to figure out how I'd schedule it. DD is in the Beginning Algebra book, and moving from there. At what point are the books high school level, and which courses would they take in which years (just wondering...Ontario is a little different in their math, but I am interested in hearing how it works in the States).

Thanks! :)

Dh and I have talked a few times about when we want to start LoF; he's a math teacher and made this recommendation, and I think it is how we will do things with our boys:

4th: Fractions (as the supplement to Singapore)

5th: Decimals/Percentages (as the supplement to Singapore)

6th: Pre-Algebra (as the main program; not sure if we'll supplement or not)

7th: Algebra 1 (from now on, it'll be our only program)

8th: Algebra 2

9th: Geometry

10th: Trigonometry

11th: Calculus

12th: Linear Algebra (and Stats if we can fit it in)

We want to get all the books in before they would start math at the community college (our goal is for them to do CC concurrently with the end of hs'ed high school), yet he doesn't want them starting too young on Algebra because the intensity in math itself speeds up. He's also big on Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 not being separated by a year of Geometry (how it is done at least in the districts he has taught in). The schedule above is a year ahead of most all honors math students around here as Calculus is usually a 12th grade course if one is in the honors track; otherwise it is a college-level course.

This is all theoritical, by the way, as our oldest is only 3rd grade. But we really like the approach of the program, our oldest has asked to start now (I read him the sample on line and he was quite disappointed when it stopped), and we are open to shifting the ages around as needed. But, if dh were to plan the program based on what he knows of math and teaching it (and he's a math guy at heart who happens to teach), this is how he'd lay it out.

DD is in the Beginning Algebra book, and moving from there. At what point are the books high school level, and which courses would they take in which years

Beginning Algebra is considered high school level. Most Americans take Algebra I in either 8th grade or 9th. The typical sequence (starting in 8th or 9th) would be:

Algebra I

Geometry

Algebra II

Trig/Precalculus

Calculus

If a student does Alg I in 8th grade, some schools give HS credit for that (mine did). Although the above sequence is typically followed in US schools, many people prefer to do Alg I & II followed by Geometry, which is what I'm planning to do.

Some students may take Statistics in high school, but typically this would be a lower division college course. Linear Algebra is a college-level course.

Jackie

12th: Linear Algebra (and Stats if we can fit it in)

I know you're years away from this point, but for most children I would strongly recommend considering doing Stats over Linear Algebra. Almost all non-arts college majors will require at least one Stats course, and intro Stats is often taught by either grad students or profs bitter because they drew the short stick. While there are of course exceptions, some seem to take perverted pleasure in how obscure they can make the subject seem. Stats is not particularly difficult (relatively speaking), but I am shocked by the number of my adult friends, many working in traditional social science fields, with an aversion to Stats bordering the neurotic because of their experience in college. Edited by nmoira
grammar

Ontario is a little different in their math, but I am interested in hearing how it works in the States).
OT, but how are things done now? I went through when there was still a Grade 13, and maths were combined through Grade 12 (much like in Singapore and the UK). In Grade 13 there was Functions & Relations, Calculus, and Algebra (fairly advanced Algebra at that). There was a Consumer Math too, but it wasn't college track, and might have been Grade 10.

I know you're years away from this point, but for most children I would strongly recommend considering doing Stats over Linear Algebra. Almost all non-arts college majors will require at least one Stats course, and intro Stats is often taught by either grad students or profs bitter because they drew the short stick. While there are of course exceptions, some seem to take perverted pleasure in how obscure they can make the subject seem. Stats is not particularly difficult (relatively speaking), but I am shocked by the number of my adult friends, many working in traditional social science fields, with aversion to Stats bordering the neurotic because their experience in college.

I totally get what you are saying. My first stats class was in grad school - it was much easier than anyone ever gave it credit (though I do like math, so that probably helped). That said, my dh is hopeful to get through Stats and Linear Algebra either before they start math at the college level or at the latest, concurrently.

...and intro Stats is often taught by either grad students or profs bitter because they drew the short stick. While there are of course exceptions, some seem to take perverted pleasure in how obscure they can make the subject seem. Stats is not particularly difficult (relatively speaking), but I am shocked by the number of my adult friends, many working in traditional social science fields, with aversion to Stats bordering the neurotic because their experience in college.

I can attest to that :glare:

I know you're years away from this point, but for most children I would strongly recommend considering doing Stats over Linear Algebra. Almost all non-arts college majors will require at least one Stats course, and intro Stats is often taught by either grad students or profs bitter because they drew the short stick. While there are of course exceptions, some seem to take perverted pleasure in how obscure they can make the subject seem. Stats is not particularly difficult (relatively speaking), but I am shocked by the number of my adult friends, many working in traditional social science fields, with aversion to Stats bordering the neurotic because their experience in college.

:iagree: I can't agree with the post more. Stats would be a much better choice.

OT, but how are things done now? I went through when there was still a Grade 13, and maths were combined through Grade 12 (much like in Singapore and the UK). In Grade 13 there was Functions & Relations, Calculus, and Algebra (fairly advanced Algebra at that). There was a Consumer Math too, but it wasn't college track, and might have been Grade 10.

I did OAC math, too. There was calculus, algebra, and finite to choose from (I couldn't even tell you what finite was now! lol). But, becuase they mix all math in all grades up to grade 12, there are no separate courses for each of these subjects. So, if I decide to send dd to high school in grade 11, say, and we've done algebra and geometry, but nothing else, she'll be a little lost...she'll know more in some areas, but certainly less in others. That's what I'm thinking, anyway. :)

Ok, so there's Beginning Algebra and Advanced Algebra in LoF...would each be a high school credit on its own, or one altogether? I'm just trying to figure out what to award her. She'll be done both by halfway through grade eight, so I want to know if I should be starting a transcript early! Thanks!

Ok, so there's Beginning Algebra and Advanced Algebra in LoF...would each be a high school credit on its own, or one altogether?
Two, though, IIRC, sometimes trigonometry is thrown with Algebra II.