Menu

TOG or Sonlight Core 6

Mom22ns

Like many others I'm in the midst of planning next year. I have been reading about TOG all year and had convinced myself that we were going to switch to Tapestry next year starting with ancients and get a 4 year cycle of history in.

My kids started in ps and have never done a 4 year cycle. I was really enthusiastic about this idea. But... there is always a but right? This year we are doing sonlight and both my kids and I love it. I also hesitate about the amount of bible history covered in Yr 1 of TOG. While we are Christians, I usually prefer secular materials. We've been known to skip entire chapters of BJU science over this issue and dropped some books from sonlight. Obviously I use Christian curriculum (I use what I think is best and the best fit), but I TOG yr 1 looks daunting.

My other issue is that I really want to do ancient history next year. In sonlight the only way to do this is Core 6. Ds is doing Core 100 now and it seems like the perfect level for him. Is core 6 going to be just too easy? I was thinking I would switch SOTW I & II for SWB's History of the Ancient World & History of the Medieval World for ds and maybe add in a few tougher books. I'm a tweaker, so this isn't a big deal for me. DD could do Core 6 as written.

Here are my questions:

1. Is Core 6 enough for an 8th grader (or could it be with minor modifications)?

2. Would it mess me up too much to do Core 6 next year and still jump to TOG for high school? (I really think we need the challenge of TOG at some point.) and

3. If not - where would I be in TOG when I got there?

3. Would I be better off to go ahead and start TOG now, get used to it and be ready for high school, even though we're really happy where we are?

Thanks for sticking with me through all that. Input from sonlighter's, TOGer's and anyone else with an opinion to help clear the murk welcome!

I may substitute something for SOTW. I haven't decided about that yet.

I've used TOG for the past year, and it's a great program, but honestly, I miss the books of Sonlight. We don't do the hands-on activities, so that's not needed for us. And, as great as TOG teacher notes and discussion material is, we never get around to using it, so that's a waste as well.

We've done Sonlight in the past and the kids have really liked it, so I'm going back to it next year. I am, however, leaving the idea of TOG for high school open. We can slip into Year 3 the following year easily enough.

Thats really interesting coming from you Rhonda. I have found our kids to be a lot alike. Your success with TOG encouraged me that it could work for us, but I was afraid that all the extras in TOG that are so enticing might be wasted.

Hmm...

Other opinions?:bigear:

Thats really interesting coming from you Rhonda. I have found our kids to be a lot alike. Your success with TOG encouraged me that it could work for us, but I was afraid that all the extras in TOG that are so enticing might be wasted.

Let me put a disclaimer. A lot of this was me. I didn't follow through as I should have. Getting my kids to have discussions was like pulling teeth, but I probably could have worked at it harder.

I'm not completely unhappy with TOG. I just miss Sonlight more than I like TOG. And, like I said, I haven't ruled TOG out completely for the future. I think, though, that we would need to find a TOG co-op for it to be completely successful for us.

We are using TOG Y1 right now and are really enjoying it (we use SOTW, too, which is one of the mentioned resource books in TOG). I do have to comment, though, that I think the placement of studying about the ancient Israelites (biblical history) is quite appropriate for a study of ancient history. The land of Ur where Abraham originally lived is right were you need to be for studying the Sumerians and Ancient Mesopotamia. It is so interesting that the biblical garden of Eden mentions the Tigres and the Euphrates, since the earliest civilizations we find in history were located right here.

Talking about mummies and pharoahs in ancient Egypt goes right along with the fact that the Bible discusses that Joseph was embalmed in the same method as other mummies... makes sense since he was living in ancient Egypt. It all folds neatly together to discuss both!

Blessings in your decision-making!

Brenda

I'm currently using Sonlight and I've been researching TOG extensively for future use. I finally broke down and bought Year 1 Redesign because I'd never know more about it without really seeing it and feeling it and reading through more than 3 weeks.

Now, keep in mind, I haven't used TOG yet, however, if you aren't wanting something overtly Christian, you may wish to rethink TOG for ancients. I've pretty much determined after looking through Year 1 that the first two units aren't going to be of much use for our secular family. Once TOG gets to ancient greece, Units 3 and 4, I think it should be fine. For instance, the core history book for all of Units 1 and 2 is the Bible and quite a bit of the reading is from heavily Christian books. I did, however, love the geography. :)

Really, I'm still looking this over and learning as I go so I may not have it exactly right, but those are my thoughts as I read through Year 1 so far. I'm in the exact same position as you and I'm wondering if I should still with Core 6 and/or 7 or move on to TOG. I guess I still don't exactly know....

Hope that helps,

If I can give you anymore information on anything, just let me know. I may take the same framework of TOG for the first 2 units and then just wing it myself. Then I can just flow into TOG from there. Still just thinking it out though. The geography was great. I also like their word lists and people lists; just not until the second semester. ;)

Good luck,

My kids started in ps and have never done a 4 year cycle. I was really enthusiastic about this idea. But... there is always a but right? This year we are doing sonlight and both my kids and I love it. I also hesitate about the amount of bible history covered in Yr 1 of TOG. While we are Christians, I usually prefer secular materials. We've been known to skip entire chapters of BJU science over this issue and dropped some books from sonlight. Obviously I use Christian curriculum (I use what I think is best and the best fit), but I TOG yr 1 looks daunting.

Doing Core 6 then moving to TOG might solve that problem. The you do have the issue of where to start in TOG because Core 6 stops in the middle of Year 2. :rolleyes: You can start in the middle of year 2 it just is more expensive to buy units than a whole year.

My other issue is that I really want to do ancient history next year. In sonlight the only way to do this is Core 6. Ds is doing Core 100 now and it seems like the perfect level for him. Is core 6 going to be just too easy? I was thinking I would switch SOTW I & II for SWB's History of the Ancient World & History of the Medieval World for ds and maybe add in a few tougher books. I'm a tweaker, so this isn't a big deal for me. DD could do Core 6 as written.

I am Leary of this idea, doesn't mean it won't work. These are the thoughts I have, but not based on doing Core 6, based on the years I spent on the SL Choosing forum and picking up with the gals with older kids often advised.

The most challenging part of Core 6 and 7 are the readers. Not that the reading level is that outstandingly high, but that the child needs to make logical level connections between events and people that aren't directly stated.

The other possible big issue is that Core 100 is not like the lower level cores. It is the first of the high school cores, which do not have read alouds. They are structured so that the child does all the reading themselves. That said I have done polls and many parents continue to do part of the reading. Some choose the history, some the more difficult literature books, and other people a combo. If you have SL access you can do searches on polls and see some of the results. Even through they are titled almost the same way each time I often try to put a different spin on each one. Also the main texts, History of the US, is also a text used for younger children (like SOTW), but it tends to have a liberal bias, so there are lots of notes to either go through and teach or have your ds go through. This is also the first core where they comprehension questions can be done in written form (of course you can also do them orally if you prefer, or not use them at all).

Here are my questions:

1. Is Core 6 enough for an 8th grader (or could it be with minor modifications)?

I don't see why not, SOTW may be written for younger kids but it is done at double pace with additional texts. But I must admit that even through I am a TOG user and love the depth, I just can't get too worried over history studies. Maybe I have watched too much Leno and figure if they just have the basics of what happened that is good enough. ;)

2. Would it mess me up too much to do Core 6 next year and still jump to TOG for high school? (I really think we need the challenge of TOG at some point.) and

3. If not - where would I be in TOG when I got there?

The nice thing about hsing is you are in control. You could eaisly do Core 2 for 8th, then jump into to half way through year 2, or you could do year 7 (completing the history cycle) and then jump into TOG with year 2 for 10th, skipping over Ancients. The first option gives you a little more room to stretch weeks of TOG out here and there without feeling you are falling behind.

3. Would I be better off to go ahead and start TOG now, get used to it and be ready for high school, even though we're really happy where we are?

Thanks for sticking with me through all that. Input from sonlighter's, TOGer's and anyone else with an opinion to help clear the murk welcome!

That is hard to say. I loved SL and was a super fan when I used it. :D My oldest loves being read to, and reading, so it worked, but the rest of my kids (and my oldest as it turns out) are hands on learners and my middle two are extremely sensitive. I totally lost my 2nd dd when I read Mountain Born in Core 1 and while she continued to be in the same room you could tell her whole body language said, "I'm not listening." The basic reason why TOG works for me is not the hands on, but the unit study approach. I can add, tweak, and mess with anything when I have a weekly topic. Because with SL the history flows from week to week, I would short circuit and couldn't figure out what types of crafts to schedule. I also had a hard time managing my serious reader (my 2nd dd) and balancing that with the other three who could take or leave history. :blink: TOG just solved all the issues our family had, even though I still would love to do SL for myself someday....

Heather

Edited by siloam

Ugh, somehow I erased the whole thing....

I have also spent a great deal of time on TOG this week. We currently use SL Core 6, secularly for the most part, which has actually been on hold this week while I debated this with myself. I finally ordered TOG year 1, unit 4, since that is where we are in Core 6 and have spent a huge amount of time going through it. I have spoken to their reps and even had them email some additional alternative lists to look at so I could compare all of the book options for year 2 to SL. Many of the readers/lit are the same so I eliminated that as part of my debate. I read almost all so I can make the connections and have the discussions.

As far as history I already tweak in that I have added a two year geography that correlates to Cores 6 and 7. I also added the Speilvogel middle school text that is correlating very well as to bump up SOTW, they have great online resources. We do use the SOTW AG, maps, and the test as a worksheet. So, my main comparison was the history. I like the teacher's notes for TOG but find them to be very biblical even in this unit. As much as I liked the information presented, it is material that I would be familiar with, having just read it with my child in SL, especially with the additions I have made. I'm not sure if that is the premise, that the parent wouldn't be reading the information and would therefore need more preparation? Someone who uses TOG would have to clarify that for me.

In the end, I am going to stick with SL through middle school. Comparing the Cores, I think the Core 6 and 7 material is a little heavier in the overall content in that time in history and the lexile on the books are actually higher overall than Core 100. :) You could then choose what to do with the readers. Some my DD has read and then discussed. I can see the advantage to TOG for the rhetoric level where I may not be reading the majority of the information with my child. I will definately consider it heavily for high school. Here is another recent thread where some of this was discussed http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145938&page=7 HTH.

Edited by melmichigan

I like the teacher's notes for TOG but find them to be very biblical even in this unit. As much as I liked the information presented, it is material that I would be familiar with, having just read it with my child in SL, especially with the additions I have made. I'm not sure if that is the premise, that the parent wouldn't be reading the information and would therefore need more preparation? Someone who uses TOG would have to clarify that for me.

TOG is written to be read to the child in LG and then read by the child in UG-R with the parent only reading the teacher notes form there on out. The teacher notes are supposed to be a summary, a quick read. That way the parent doesn't need to spend a bunch of time pre-reading the student's textbooks. Though I use it more like SL too, at least for my younger kids. I read the LG or UG aloud to everyone, and then assign additional reading to my oldest. If you are still going to read you dd's texts, I agree that you will loose a part of what makes TOG valuable.

Year 1 is the one year I haven't done, so I can't speak much to it, other than agree that it is heavy on Biblical history. I also agree that many/most of the SL books are scheduled in TOG already, just as Literature instead of having both Literature and Read Alouds. I understand there are more Read Aloud suggestions in the redesign, but I still use the classic which doesn't really have any. (BTW I own classic years 2-4 and redesign years 1-3.)

The hard thing about comparing just TOG and SL history, for ME, is that you are striping away much of what I love about TOG, the coordination of topics. Which if that is the way you would use TOG, then by all means compare them that way. For me it isn't just the history texts, it is the history, with the philosophy with the government, with the literature with the Fine Arts with the Worldivew all tied together.

Ok I pulled year 1 (redesign) Unit 4 week 31, because it seems to be the most secular (and I do get what you are saying about the Biblical influence in year 1!) But just for comparisons for those who may be reading the thread, not to try to change Mel's mind, because I think she knows what she wants and if TOG will do it. :D

Just History:

These Were the Romans roughly 40 pages

with

Holman Bible Atlas 6 pages

or alternate:

Western Civilization by Spielvogel about 9 pages

In depth option (is optional to use):

The Sacred World of the Celts by Nigel Pennick 4 chapters

and/or

Warfare in the Classical World roughly 40 pages

Alternative In depth (optional):

Video: Julius Caesar (Shakespear's play)

and/or

The Ancient City by Peter Connolly One page.

Government Elective (optional):

Plato's Republic (original documents-pages unknown as it is listed by book)

No alternate government

Literature (would equal literature in SL):

The Aeneid from Norton Anthology roughly 25 pages

Literature Alternate:

Caesar's Gallic War by Olivia Coolidge (2nd week, no page numbers just read the 2nd half).

Fine Arts (Optional):

The Story of Painting by Sister Wendy Beckett about 5 pages.

No Fine Arts alternate.

Worldview/Church History (optional):

Matthew 13-25

and

What the Bible is All About by Henrietta Mears roughly 4 pages

Worldview/Church History alternates:

A Short History of the Early Church by Harry Boer 2 pages.

Worldview Philosophy Elective (optional):

World Religions by John Bowker (no pages number listed-Celtic section)

No Philosophy Alternatives.

The reading for a week in SL:

Bible (optional) (I do a separate Bible program from TOG, even in year 1):

Bible Study Sampler roughly 7 pages

Why Pray? Roughly 5 pages

History:

History of the US 12 chapters

Peace Child 6 Chapters

Literature:

Cameron Townsend 10 chapters

A Treasury of Poetry for Young People roughly 7 pages

In some ways it is hard to compare because the two programs have different goals. SL's goal is to make history fun as well as informative, and I personally think it does a good job of it. For kids who like to read it is a great option. TOG is much more academic. You read less pages out of each book, but the books are on a higher level. More chances of the child being board with the content. If you use all the pieces then I think that is where TOG really goes deeper, but if you don't you immediately loose some of that depth, and for what (given it may be drier)?

Honestly SL is a pretty heavy reading schedule, and TOG if you do all the threads certainly isn't lighter, probably heavier overall plus the discussions for each thread, which will run hours if you don't pick and choose questions. My point is that while I kinda disagree with what you said about the depth of history covered between TOG and SL (unless you only do Lit and history) the program that gets done is the winner. I have seen way to many people buy TOG and sell it and TOG is way to expensive to do that with. I personally couldn't do SL in a year, and there is no way I can do TOG in a year, so while I love both, and prefer TOG because I love the coordination I don't think it is for everyone.

If you can't afford to buy a unit like Mel, please first try a 3 week sample. If you can't afford for TOG not to work then ask if there is someone locally who will allow you to see their TOG. If you can't find that and SL is working then my advice is to stick with SL. TOG is work the money but only if you will use the content. If you aren't because of time, hisng style or ??? (like Mel) then don't waste the funds.

Heather (who always cringes a little at the SL/TOG threads because of the big $$$ involved in these decisions)

Wow, you ladies are great!

Heather I was hoping you'd chime in knowing you've done both. We do still do read alouds this year. Dd is doing core 3+4 so ds sits in for her read alouds. Ds reads everything from core 100. My kids would rebel if I didn't read something aloud :lol:. I have thought of both of the options that you suggested as far as where to jump into TOG. If we love core 6, then we might not want to stop and stay for core 7. Then I would do just as you said and move to tapestry for 10th grade at yr 2. If Core 6 doesn't still draw us the way we are now, then we could move to TOG at any point on a unit by unit basis. I never order complete cores - I use the library extensively and buy only as needed so I don't spend huge amounts on literature based curriculums.

Mel, Can you tell me what geography you are using with Core 6 & 7? I thought about Speilvogel too. Ds and I had looked and SWBs History of the Ancient world together before though and he liked it. I thought he would like the narrative style better than the textbook style. Picking up a cheap copy of The Human Odyssey would be easy though.

Great ideas and great feedback - keep it coming!

Honestly SL is a pretty heavy reading schedule, and TOG if you do all the threads certainly isn't lighter, probably heavier overall plus the discussions for each thread, which will run hours if you don't pick and choose questions. My point is that while I kinda disagree with what you said about the depth of history covered between TOG and SL (unless you only do Lit and history) the program that gets done is the winner. I have seen way to many people buy TOG and sell it and TOG is way to expensive to do that with. I personally couldn't do SL in a year, and there is no way I can do TOG in a year, so while I love both, and prefer TOG because I love the coordination I don't think it is for everyone.

:iagree:

Heather, we were writing at the same time. I agree with all of this. The coordination is something that draws me. I wouldn't use the Worldview or Fine Arts, and government would probably wait until Rhetoric. However, I think the integration of topics is exciting. The depth of TOG is set by the user. Since I choose which books we use and which level books, it is easy to adjust the depth to keep it right at the level of each child. Being multi-level, as well as, the huge number of resources and alternative they provide give this flexibility.

The academic"ness" of TOG could steal the newly discovered joy of learning from my kids. Maybe not, but that is another of my fears.

I think everyone has done such a great job of articulating all my hopes and fears about both of these curriculums. I don't really worry about the money spent on either one because I really think they are both great. I would use whichever one I had. While I may be happier with one than the other, I am confident either one would get done.

I have to admit though, after the input so far, I am starting to lean more back toward Sonlight and think of waiting at least one more year before trying to move to TOG.

If I can give you anymore information on anything, just let me know. I may take the same framework of TOG for the first 2 units and then just wing it myself. Then I can just flow into TOG from there. Still just thinking it out though. The geography was great. I also like their word lists and people lists; just not until the second semester. ;)

Good luck,

Thank you Cynthia. I followed your recent thread on TOG and it was very helpful. Lots of good information about using TOG secularly. I had debated just buying a unit. I have poured through the 3 week samples. I hate to buy something and not use it at all though. I was trying to be more sure first. Now I think I'm leaning back toward SL.

I need a smiley shaped like a waffle :lol:

The coordination is something that draws me... However, I think the integration of topics is exciting. The depth of TOG is set by the user. Since I choose which books we use and which level books, it is easy to adjust the depth to keep it right at the level of each child. Being multi-level, as well as, the huge number of resources and alternative they provide give this flexibility.

The academic"ness" of TOG could steal the newly discovered joy of learning from my kids. Maybe not, but that is another of my fears.

We love TOG at our house. I do not think *I* could personally handle all the different subjects/topics if every child was doing a different core. That was the thing that turned me away from Sonlight.

The "academic-ness" of TOG is something that my kids thrive on. It is tough, but do-able. They got lazy before, because we were doing something a bit easier.They need a challenge. There are light books that the boys are enjoying, not just heavy, deep readings.

Ooops, somehow that came across wrong. I wasn't comparing the level of TOG versus SL. I was comparing Core 6 and 7 with Core 100 since the question was if they would be to easy after completing Core 100. I don't think I could speak to the level of TOG, I've looked at it but haven't done it. :001_smile:

Just want to add. I am heavily considering TOG for the high school level with my DD, although I'm not sure what I'd do about Year 1 yet. Just so everyone can understand where I am coming from. :) I definately like the program, but just don't think it is the right choice for us right now.

I use the full version of the Speilvogel's Journey Across Time as my supplement right now, along with the SOTW AG and tests (as a worksheet).

I use Glencoe's Exploring Our World, People Places, and Cultures. It is available in one volume for use over one or two years. I found the single years Eastern and Western Hemisphere cheaper than the full volume so we will do Eastern this year and Western next, roughly. I just follow the progression of history around the book, so I skip around in the chapters, and don't necessarily do all the sections in each. I keep it short and sweet as this my DD does more independently.

I like the online options for both of these books and think Speilvogel does a good job to get my DD ready for more in depth texts in the future.

Edited by melmichigan

I haven't read all the replies, but will chime in with my experience:

SL 6 was where the rubber hit the road for me. I felt as thought I were "losing" my then 6th-7th grader. I couldn't keep up with her reading, since I had a houseful of younger ones, couldn't coordinate the topics with the younger kids Core 1, and honestly she just ended up reading the books and that was the end of it.

My biggest attractions for TOG are the coordination of subjects/topics for my whole family (Dad included! Dh LOVES LOVES LOVES his Pop Quiz!) and the discussion questions. The discussions scripts and Teacher's Notes help me to have informed, thoughtful, and Biblically-based (that might not be important to some, but it is to us) discussions that have really enriched our family's learning. This year, my Dd17 is "auditing" Y2 History and sitting in on the discussions with Ds13 and Dd11. It's really a neat, special time.

Heather (Siloam) does a MUCH better job explaining the nitty-gritty. But thought I'd give you an overall view of why I jumped the SL ship after being a faithful user for 6 years (Cores K-5). Probably should blog about it. . . . . .

HTH!

Just History:

These Were the Romans roughly 40 pages

with

Holman Bible Atlas 6 pages

or alternate:

Western Civilization by Spielvogel about 9 pages

In depth option (is optional to use):

The Sacred World of the Celts by Nigel Pennick 4 chapters

and/or

Warfare in the Classical World roughly 40 pages

Alternative In depth (optional):

Video: Julius Caesar (Shakespear's play)

and/or

The Ancient City by Peter Connolly One page.

Government Elective (optional):

Plato's Republic (original documents-pages unknown as it is listed by book)

No alternate government

Literature (would equal literature in SL):

The Aeneid from Norton Anthology roughly 25 pages

Literature Alternate:

Caesar's Gallic War by Olivia Coolidge (2nd week, no page numbers just read the 2nd half).

Fine Arts (Optional):

The Story of Painting by Sister Wendy Beckett about 5 pages.

No Fine Arts alternate.

Worldview/Church History (optional):

Matthew 13-25

and

What the Bible is All About by Henrietta Mears roughly 4 pages

Worldview/Church History alternates:

A Short History of the Early Church by Harry Boer 2 pages.

Worldview Philosophy Elective (optional):

World Religions by John Bowker (no pages number listed-Celtic section)

No Philosophy Alternatives.

Is this the dialetic schedule or the rhetoric? I have been comparing TOG Dialetic with SL Cores 6, 7, and 100 because I am considering using the rhetoric for high school. I'm thinking Speilvogel is rhetoric. :)

I love Heather's input too, and really appreciate all the detail.

Edited by melmichigan

Is this the dialetic schedule or the rhetoric? I have been comparing TOG Dialetic with SL Cores 6, 7, and 100 because I am considering using the rhetoric for high school. I'm thinking Speilvogel is rhetoric. I don't want to confuse the OP since I thought she was doing the same when talking about 8th next year. :)

I love Heather's input too, and really appreciate all the detail.

Yes, I would have at least one more year of dialectic, maybe two before my oldest would be ready for a full rhetoric schedule.

The schedule Heather (Siloam) posted earlier is the Rhetoric level of work.

And fwiw, when we did Year 1 last year, my eldest Dd did NOT do all that was listed - no WAY! She did the Core History readings, and the Lit, and the Bible. That was IT. This year, she's auditing history, and doing the Govt. track and the Church History track.

One other thought: I have 2 kids doing Dialectic Year 2 - Fall of Rome through Reformation & Colonies, up to 1800s. I find the reading is comparable to, but maybe slightly less than, a Sonlight week. However, they are answering questions and spending time in discussion with me, so the time may even out in the end.

The schedule Heather (Siloam) posted earlier is the Rhetoric level of work.

And fwiw, when we did Year 1 last year, my eldest Dd did NOT do all that was listed - no WAY! She did the Core History readings, and the Lit, and the Bible. That was IT. This year, she's auditing history, and doing the Govt. track and the Church History track.

One other thought: I have 2 kids doing Dialectic Year 2 - Fall of Rome through Reformation & Colonies, up to 1800s. I find the reading is comparable to, but maybe slightly less than, a Sonlight week. However, they are answering questions and spending time in discussion with me, so the time may even out in the end.

It is pretty easy for me, even with the LG and UG stuff to take 2-4 weeks to cover a whole week, just so that we get the depth. Though I don't schedule near the volume of what SL covers. Just have bigger issues to deal with here.

Thus just like with SL I enjoy TOG, but at our pace.

Heather

Ooops, somehow that came across wrong. I wasn't comparing the level of TOG versus SL. I was comparing Core 6 and 7 with Core 100 since the question was if they would be to easy after completing Core 100. I don't think I could speak to the level of TOG, I've looked at it but haven't done it. :001_smile:

Well it was probably my skimming again. :blink: Gets me into more trouble than I would like to admit. I would go back and re-read to check but give it is almost 10 I am very likely to just make the same error, and it really doesn't matter anyway. :D

Heather