Menu

quick question about TOG

abreakfromlife

my kids are finally old enough for me to order it, yay! But I had a question...under its definition, it says TOG covers the humanities: history, church history, literature, geography, fine arts, government, philosophy, and writing & composition.

What kind of writing/comp is in TOG? I already have separate writing and grammar programs, so it doesn't matter either way, but I was wondering what their writing program was like - is it just writing reports or essays about the history and lit topics?

We've used TOG for 5 years now. . . .

The writing component covers all kinds of genres: historical fiction, essays, plays, newspapers, book reports, paragraphs, compare/contrast, you name it!

I have used it as our exclusive writing program, and have been pleased with my kids' skills. The beauty of it is that the topics they are writing on all dovetail with their history studies. For example, my dd9 (Level 3) is working on her first piece of historical fiction, set during the time of Martin Luther. Dd11 (Level 5) is studying journal writing/entries, and has been compiling a journal as if she lived during the Renaissance. Ds13 (Level 8) is working on his own historical fiction piece set with a Spanish Explorer (they DO more than write historical fiction, just Level 8 & 3 happen to have similar assignments).

In addition, my Dd17 has become quite good at writing 3-point or 5-point essays. She really feels that will serve her well come SAT/ACT writing time.

HTH!

my kids are finally old enough for me to order it, yay! But I had a question...under its definition, it says TOG covers the humanities: history, church history, literature, geography, fine arts, government, philosophy, and writing & composition.

What kind of writing/comp is in TOG? I already have separate writing and grammar programs, so it doesn't matter either way, but I was wondering what their writing program was like - is it just writing reports or essays about the history and lit topics?

It covers all types of writing. Generally the first half of the year is spend doing weekly assignments learning new skills. They build one on the other. It was in level 2 or 3 that they learn paragraphs, then do they do a paragraph each week but change the type of style. One week might be reporting the facts of an event in history and the next they might compare and contrast two people in history. Then the second half of the year is spent doing more fun type projects, plays, write a paper (this one can be done with multiple levels of kids), ect...

I only used it for about 6 months because I was using CW (and loving it) long before I found TOG, but I am very likely to use it again, if I need filler.

TOG itself comes with the topics, and what each level covers. The Writing Aids is meant to go with it and explains the different writing types assigned in TOG, has some teaching helps, some examples, lots of graphic organizers and rubics for grading your children's writing assignments with.

Heather

It covers all types of writing. Generally the first half of the year is spend doing weekly assignments learning new skills. They build one on the other. It was in level 2 or 3 that they learn paragraphs, then do they do a paragraph each week but change the type of style. One week might be reporting the facts of an event in history and the next they might compare and contrast two people in history. Then the second half of the year is spent doing more fun type projects, plays, write a paper (this one can be done with multiple levels of kids), ect...

I only used it for about 6 months because I was using CW (and loving it) long before I found TOG, but I am very likely to use it again, if I need filler.

TOG itself comes with the topics, and what each level covers. The Writing Aids is meant to go with it and explains the different writing types assigned in TOG, has some teaching helps, some examples, lots of graphic organizers and rubics for grading your children's writing assignments with.

Heather

I’m glad to hear that you like it! I think I will end up supplementing TOG writing, or vice versa, with CW or MCT. My oldest needs more of a challenge, maybe even Writing Strands. (just thinking out loud here) :tongue_smilie:

I haven't use TOG, yet, but one of the things that I like about it is that although the other subjects covered are divided into 4 levels, the writing is actually divided into 12 different levels. This makes it easier to give writing assignments to children whose writing does not match up with their grade levels in other subjects.

However, the TOG folks are careful to say that the writing part of the program does not constitute a complete grammar program, although I have noticed that there is some grammar (like parts of speech) covered in the free samples.

Edited by tracymirko