Menu

Any cloth napkin recommendations?

WRINKLE FREE!!!

I got black and a tan recently. I hate ironing them every week. It did motivate me to teach the kids to iron :lol:

But seriously, the tan ones don't show much dirt and I can use almost the week, but the black ones look bad the first night.

Wrinkle free. Wash, dry, put on table. *shaking head* I so HATE ironing!

I like 16x16 size, in neutral or darker colours, or perhaps a print. (Light colours tend to get murky looking over time. We don't bleach.)

I really want to get different coloured table linens for each day of the week. I think the kids would enjoy having theme days! Monday is yellow day, Tuesday is red, etc.

I'd want enough for each person to use each day. We don't tend to use a napkin with every meal, and it's possible to use the same one for lunch and dinner.

Definitely cotton or a cotton/linen blend. Anything with polyester just doesn't absorb well or make for a good napkin, IME.

We buy the washcloths/dishcloths from Wal-Mart in the kitchen section. A pack of 18 for $3. They come in seasonal colors. We wash them ALL THE TIME and they last at least 6-9 months. And since they are uniquely colored, we know they are napkins not dishcloths.

from Sams Club Online. 24 for $17.43 (including shipping).

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=440200

They wash up very nice (no iron needed) and they are white and I bleach every few launderings. I had bought colored ones from Overstock, but they faded and stained (darn spaghetti).

hth

K

from Sams Club Online. 24 for $17.43 (including shipping).

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=440200

They wash up very nice (no iron needed) and they are white and I bleach every few launderings. I had bought colored ones from Overstock' date=' but they faded and stained (darn spaghetti).

hth

K[/quote']

I came in to recommend the very same ones from Sam's Club. I picked up a package at the store, though, not online. They're inexpensive, a good size, don't wrinkle, can be bleached, wear well, and fan properly when I'm feeling fancy. ;)

I love to buy cloth napkins from Pier One. I have four sets from there. I also have one set from Kohl's because my mom shopped there for Christmas, but I don't care as much for them. I prefer the softer cotton or cotton blend ones. The ones from Pier One end up looking really nice straight out of the dryer, but the ones from Kohl's look rather wrinkly. Also the Pier One napkins are very soft. I tried buying a set from Walmart one time, but the texture was so disagreeable I stopped using them.

We have had one set of Pier One napkins for about 8 years, I think. And they still look and feel very nice. The others I just bought because I was tired of washing the one set so often. They have such pretty and fun designs that it makes me smile to set the table now.

Our everyday ones I found at Burlington Coat Factory on clearance. I bought 2 dozen for our family of 5, and wash about every 3 days. They are all cotton, and wash beautifully. If I fold them immediately they don't wrinkle. Although my eldest has requested ironing as a chore, so I have given them to her. They do look nicer ironed. I think they are about 13-14", and not exactly square.

I do have a set of 16" ones, but know they would be too large for my youngins to handle easily.

I found mine at Old Time Pottery. I think I paid $2 for a package of 8. Mine are green and white checks with a teeny, tiny amount of fringe. They are cotton and if I fold right out of the laundry, they are fine for everyday. Also, the checkered pattern is very forgiving with stains.

One thing we do that lessens the need to wash napkins as often is to give everyone their own color/print. Each person has 2 napkins in their style. After each meal the children place their napkin in a basket in the middle of the table. We have to remove the napkins after every meal because our dining room table is also our school/craft/game table. Everyone is much more willing to reuse a napkin if it is their own napkin.

I have found that cotton or cotton blend napkins in a pattern work the best. They are more absorbent, show stains less and, if folded out of the dryer, don't really need ironing.

I have tons of cloth napkins.....I love them!

I like the cotton ones better too, and have had good luck with some from Kohls, but I do love to shop clearance at TJ Maxx and the like.

My favorite ones were a gift from a friend. She got them at some kind of kitchen party, so can't help there.

One thing I did when all the kiddoes were at home..we had a basket with different napkin rings in it. Everyone had their own. After the meal everyone put his napkin ring on and then they were all placed into the basket. I had heard it was a Victorian tradition. Worked great for us! I personally like everything to mathc, so different napkins would make me nuts..keeping track of whose color etc..plus you would have to have so many!

Usually we can go several days with one napkin, but it truly depends on the meal.

We buy the washcloths/dishcloths from Wal-Mart in the kitchen section. A pack of 18 for $3. They come in seasonal colors. We wash them ALL THE TIME and they last at least 6-9 months. And since they are uniquely colored, we know they are napkins not dishcloths.

This is what we do. I like them much better than regular cloth napkins. They don't wrinkle, they look nice, and if you are having a 'finger' food like fried chicken, you can dampen them for easy finger washing/wiping. The wash and wear factor is much greater with washcloths as well, they last a long, long time and are cheap and easy to replace.