Menu

Lowercase a

What method do you use to write lowercase a? Is it a circle and then you go back and add a straight line down? Or do you do it all in one step...start the circle at the top right and as soon as you get back there you stay connected and come down?

I think our method shows the first way...but the line is so far off and not straight when she tries to go back and add it after picking up her pencil. We are using Zaner Bloser but I'm thinking that if this is the way they really want us to write the a, maybe I will vary this one!

Or do you do it all in one step...start the circle at the top right and as soon as you get back there you stay connected and come down?

This is us. My kids learned to write at a Montessori school, and I was surprised that they taught this method (the teacher explained it readied them for cursive right off the bat). When I learned to print, it was a circle and a stick. But, honestly, I've never once made it that way while printing since 3rd grade when I learned to write in cursive.

With manuscript, we'd do a start at "2 o'clock" and go left.... come back up to 2 from the right and then down. I actually just purchased Startwrite yesterday so I can do copy work for my son. We're doing Modern Cursive.... and I can print the lines very lightly and he says them as he's writing them. I actually print out the arrows so he goes the correct way. You can do a sample of Startwrite for free:-)

Carrie