Menu

HELP! We're going to have to buy ER a new laptop since his was stolen :-(

ER is really interested in a Macbook Pro, but I'm not sure we can afford that. However, I'd like to at least see what we can find. I don't even know where to start asking questions about a Mac. Can someone point me in the right direction?

HOWEVER, I suspect that we'll end up buying a PC because of the affordability factor; we already have the necessary software, so all we would need is the laptop itself. Where should we start looking? Any recommendations? The laptop that was stolen was an Acer TravelMate 5520 -- nothing fancy, but it was just what ER needed.

ER is really interested in a Macbook Pro, but I'm not sure we can afford that. However, I'd like to at least see what we can find. I don't even know where to start asking questions about a Mac. Can someone point me in the right direction?

HOWEVER, I suspect that we'll end up buying a PC because of the affordability factor; we already have the necessary software, so all we would need is the laptop itself. Where should we start looking? Any recommendations? The laptop that was stolen was an Acer TravelMate 5520 -- nothing fancy, but it was just what ER needed.

Apple does offer a student discount (I think it was 10%), and sometimes they have refurbished models at a big discount. Here's the main website:

http://store.apple.com/us?afid=p219%7CGOUS&cid=OAS-US-KWG-SitelinksAppleStore-Main

As for software, Macs come with pretty much all the software you need. iLife software includes Safari (browser), iTunes, iPhoto, iWeb, iMovie, and Garage Band music software. You can also buy iWork for $79, which includes Pages (word processing & layout), Numbers (spreadsheet) and Keynote (like Powerpoint). All of the iWork software will import and export into the most common PC versions (e.g. you can open a Word doc in Pages, work on it, and export back to Word; you can import Powerpoint files, work on them in Keynote, and export back to Powerpoint, etc.) If your son prefers Microsoft Office, the student price for the Mac version is $130.

We have a Macbook, Macbook Air, two iMacs, and a Mac Mini, so if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. :)

Jackie

Well, my dd just got her first Dell. They were selling the new thinner/lighter Inspiron 15 for the same sale price as the old model. Ended up being 1000, but that's with an extra year of in-home repair (if needed), and Microsoft Office Student. It comes standard with a year of Lojack for computers.

Have you checked with the school? Dh works at a local university and they provide computers to all incoming students for free. Not sure if they are laptops or not. If they don't have a similar program, perhaps they could let you order from one of their sources that gives them bulk deals. Or if it doesn't have to be top of the line, ask if they have a surplus auction or sale. Dh's university has one twice a year and there are usually tons of computers there.