Menu

Russian math (elementary level)

stripe

• 2 weeks later...

Dd is nearly done the one from Perpendicular Press, and it's a great book. Another book that we don't have (yet) is called Mathematical Circles. It's on Amazon and is also sold by the Americal Mathematical Society. The person at AMS who answered some questions I had about a few books said that Mathematical Circles is for clever math students (I may be paraphrasingn here. They had it on a page of books for high school students.

I found a Power Point presentation where James Milgram (who works with Liping Ma) recommended that more translations of other elementary texts be made besides the UCSMP translations. (I haven't seen those, for that matter.)

Thank you all for your contributions to this thread.

BTW I bought a copy of Mathematical Circles: Russian Experience (Mathematical World, Vol. 7). It is a nice book of problems. I started working my way through it and then lost my notes -- ugh. It is definitely in the vein of challenging but fun problems. Not a replacement for a curriculum, but fun for a broader concept of math.

Edited by stripe

BTW I bought a copy of Mathematical Circles: Russian Experience (Mathematical World, Vol. 7). It is a nice book of problems. I started working my way through it and then lost my notes -- ugh. It is definitely in the vein of challenging but fun problems. Not a replacement for a curriculum, but fun for a broader concept of math.

Thanks for this :).

I think you are correct; on the UCSMP page it says:

Textbook Translations

Mathematics textbooks used in grades 7-9 in Japan and grade 1-3 (our grades 2-4) in Russia.

• Russian Grade 1 Mathematics (1980): simple and multi-step problems and word problems with numbers up to 100; measurement and intuitive geometry; equations and inequalities with x.
  • Russian Grade 2 Mathematics (1980): addition and subtraction; multiplication and division; introduction to fractions; time; numbers to 1,000; multi-step word problems; intuitive geometry; equations and inequalities with x.
  • Russian Grade 3 Mathematics (1978): measurement; addition and subtraction of multidigit numbers; speed, time, and distance; area; fractions; multiplication and division by 2- and 3-digit numbers; word problems with variables.