Menu

What do you use for Grammar?

My dd7 is in 2nd grade and she is doing language lessons for the very young, the first book. She is going through it very fast. I know that Charlotte Mason was all about short lessons, but this seems too short for my dd. I usually give her 3 or 4 lessons out of the book to do, and usually she finishes between 5 and 10 minutes, if that. As much as I like that includes poetry and picture study, I think I need to look at different programs for 3rd grade.

What does your 3rd grader use?

What about Primary Language Lessons? It's written for 2nd&3rd graders. The next book, Intermediate Language Lessons, for 4th-6th graders.

It has many of the same things as Language Lessons for the very young, too.

You could also move her up into the next level of books, perhaps that one is just too easy for her.

We also do Growing with Grammar with the older two. They never complain about Grammar and I love it because it's independent and not too much writing. There is also a lot of review from level to level. I always go over their work with them, catching any mistakes as well as making sure they understand, but for the most part they are independent. I've also decided for fun to start each school day with a "School House Rock" song. They have quite a few grammar ones of course....