Menu

Boys and handwriting

The only one of my boys who's handwriting is really bad is my 1st grader. He is really a leftie, but INSISTS on switching back and forth when he writes. I have to watch him closely, and insist he finishes a whole line before switching hands. Since I am sure he is left handed and footed, I push him toward using only his left for writing. But he fights me. Also, I am having him concentrate on writing just a little everyday, but doing it very neatly.

Oh, my oldest likes to write really big, but has great vision. So, I have no idea why.

Have you seen the PenAgain pen and pencils?

Sold at office stores. They help a child/adult hold the pen correctly.

Here is the website:

http://www.penagain.com/

No, I had not. Thank you for the link.

I have a rewards cert. for Staples so I will run over there today to see if our store carries those.

Thank you, again.

is it just a legibility problem or a letter formation problem?

I cannot really say at the moment. He can write neatly but it is a painstaking, tiresome process. When he does write neatly he bends his wrist all the way around, his fingers are pointing at his chest. It looks painful.

BTW-

Staples did have the Penagain pen. It was $4 and I used my reward cert for $3, so I only paid $1.06.

I hope it helps with how he holds the pen.

does he grip his pencil tightly?

I would backtrack and get him holding it in a proper tripod grip. Have him practice holding it correctly, comfortably, but not too tightly. Have him practice with mazes and such, not with letters. In the meantime watch him form his letters and see if he's forming them correctly.

I might consider starting fresh by re-teaching each letter, one per day. Teach letters in order by similarity of formation--such as c, o, a d, g, and n, m, h. Don't bother having him do it a million times or using a workbook approach. Just show him how you want him to do it, make him practice and redo anything not up to your standards. THen, hold the expectation that once you've retaught that letter he must form it correctly each and every time. If not his job is to go back and fix it. EG day one when you've started c, check all of his writing for that day and make sure he's doing all the cs right. The next day check the cs and os, kwim? That was my method when I taught first grade. I never got too far in the real handwriting textbooks. FWIW it's a good way to teach spelling as well.

Another idea you might want to do is google "occupational therapy" when you google other handwriting things. You might find some other handwriting resources too.

Also consider having him journal daily to build up practice.

does he grip his pencil tightly?

Yes, he is developing a callus on his middle finger. I hold my pen/pencil with a death grip so I have a callus, too.

I have tried using mecahincal pencils, which break easily with too much pressure, without luck. He just becomes frustrated with having to stop so often and release more lead.

I think it's pretty common. For both of mine, I have just continued handwriting practice to help them get better (practice makes perfect).

I wish I had continued it longer with my older son, as he developed the bad habit of leaving the tops of his d's and a's, etc. open after he was in eighth grade and still does it. This makes his handwriting very hard to read for those who do not know the "key" to it, LOL.

For my younger son, I plan on continuing copywork longer. Some folks here on these boards have developed copy books online for sale at Lulu that coincide with the different history time periods. I have been using those the past couple of years after he completes his handwriting book for the year (I use Getty-Dubay).