Menu

Grammar question about prepositions

I found this example about what is and what is not a preposition at http://dailygrammarlessons.blogspot.com/. I'm not sure the conclusion that up is not a preposition is correct. Didn't the boy run up the street as well? Therefore up does have an object and is a preposition in this sentence. At least that's my first guess. Just wondering what the hive thinks.

"Example: The boy stood up and ran down the street. Up what? There is no object; therefore up is not a preposition. Down what? Street answers the question; therefore, down is a preposition. Down the street is the prepositional phrase starting with the preposition down and ending with the object street with a modifier the in between."

Up does not refer to where the boy ran. It has no object.

If the sentence said, "The boy ran up the street," then up would be a preposition in that sentence.

But it says that the boy stood up. So in that usage, up is not a preposition.

IMV, it is much easier to look for prepositional phrases than to look for prepositions. Lots of words are sometimes prepositions and sometimes not.

Consider the word 'to' for example. To can be a preposition, the start of an infinitive phrase, or an adverb.

Ah, yes, I see it now. Yes, I think it is an adverb here. Thanks, ladies!

Yes, you are correct. There are actually many, many words that work this way. If they serve as objects in a prepositional phrase, they are prepositions in that sentence. If they're not in a prepositional phrase, and they answer "How?", "When?", "Where?", or To what extreme?, they are adverbs in that sentence.