Menu

First Grade Math Suggestions Needed

1shortmomto4

I just can't do another BJUP Math 1 lesson with my ds - he now just starts into tears seeing the paper! I've tried various things to make it different, write the answers myself, do it verbally, convert the problems to hands-on, etc but this is just not worth it. I don't want him to hate math but to enjoy it. He is bright and I think some of the problem may be the lack of challenge but then he isn't rattling off math facts and performing geometric proofs so I don't want something that is waaaaayyy advanced. He is definitely a visual learner - but hands-on just causes distraction. I know you need manipulatives at this age to help "see" the problem, but this child begins creating stories around the manipulatives and then it just goes from there (reminds you of the story If You Give a Mouse a Cookie). What is out there that might work for him? I don't want drill sheets or timed tests but to cover the bases and something that I can continue using onward (given that it works). I really don't want to be switching curriculums. I really need to find a Plan B, get it ordered and in the mail sooner rather than later. Does anything come to mind that fits this need?

Heidi

We use RightStart here and the kids respond pretty well to it. I think they're getting a good understanding of math and they have fun. Yes, manipulatives do lead to play at times, and I let them go ahead and play. I believe that somewhere in that play they are also learning. I keep the "lesson" part short, and the "play" part as long as the kids want to play with the math manipulatives. When I say "play" I don't mean playing catch with them or anything! For math facts, I use flashcards most days for a short time. If I feel that they are tired over math lessons, I read math storybooks to them for a week or so to get the interest and curiosity for math going again. And we play games; many games have some math involved in them. Maybe switching to a different program would help your child or maybe just shorter lessons and adding interesting books and games to your present program might increase the enjoyment. Best wishes.

For dd6 we use Ray's Arithimetic (it is free online) and MEP (it is also free). Ray's is very basic skills presented in a very simple format and dd6 has really caught on to addition and subtraction with just a few lessons. We use MEP for more mental math and critical thinking skills.