Menu

video game for wii exercise suggestions

I'm going to be changing my exercise routine and was wondering about incorporating our wii. We have We Cheer and We Cheer 2 which are a lot of fun and not marketed as exercise, but these are games that got me thinking about this more.

there are quite a few "games" specifically marketed for exercise, but others that might also be good to consider. Do you have favorites.

For some guidance, I will no longer have a gym membership in the new year, so I need strength training and I specifically need core work. I'm hoping to start running (but running is very hard for me to keep up) and I will be swimming at least twice a week for at least an hour (I must keep this up--my brother and I will be doing a distance race together in the spring).

So what are you best bets. My birthday is in a month.

Wii Active. I LOOOOOVE it. We have Wii Fit but to me, that is just fun stuff. It does not get my heart pumping whatsoever. Wii Active includes cardio as well as stregnth training. After I started it, I was SO sore, so I know it is doing something LOL.

I use it every day for my exercises.

We use Dance Dance Revolution for cardio. It can be as easy or hard as you want by selecting different songs and different difficulty levels. The time between songs where you get your grade and pick the next song is like a mini break in between 3-4 minute sets of active work. It has a "workout" mode where you tell it how much time you want to exercise and it keeps track of actual dance time until you reach that point. The only problem with that is you don't unlock songs in workout mode...so I usually use the regular mode.

We got an extra dance pad for Christmas so we can dance together. My kids always asked me for a turn when I was trying to get a workout in. Now, they can take turns while I just keep going.

It's also my daughter's official PE for school.

(I'm looking forward to restarting this after a long break for being pregnant and postpartum.)

I use and love my Wii Fit plus, Ea Active and EA Active More Workouts.

The Wii Fit I use as a warm up, to keep motivated, have fun and work on my core and brain age. I do 10 minutes each of balance, strength and cardio then move to the other ones.

The original EA active I throw in for the upper body resistance band workout I made myself and the new one for the heavy cardio, the new obstacle course is great and I like the boxing better than in the 1st one and the cool down session.