Menu

Literary Analysis... I always thought is was a crock of, well, you know ...

Even being almost but not quite completely ignorant about the literary world, it would never occur to me to even try to get my children, even the non-engineering one, through one of those AP lit tests. I have serious doubts about any of them surviving college lit. We just aren't that sort of people. Now I'm off to read your article and see how far off course I was in my understanding of the Wiki article.

-Nan

It seems like you all are talking about two different things. By literary analysis, some of you seem to mean "how most people (or most experts) interpret piece of writing" and the rest of you seem to mean "what a book means to you as an individual". "How most people..." is less subjective. "How you..." is more subjective. Or maybe I have this wrong?

-Nan

Hi, Nan, I think what happened was that the thread started out with the question of whether literary analysis is subjective to an extent, which turned to a comment that not all lit is worthy of analysis, which then turned to what is it about a work that takes it to a higher realm...

Holy cow! I just stumbled upon an article that you guys have just got to read! It is written by an engineer who decides to learn about deconstruction. The only bad part about the article is that it ends......I absolutely wanted to keep reading. Parts of it are funny (my sense of humor) and at the end he actually shows you how to deconstruct. I didn't know a lot about deconstruction and this was the ticket. Much more fun and illuminating than Wiki!

Read it!!!

http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/~pvr/decon.html

Sending you a virtual cup of something, Holly. Cheers!

:cheers2:

Jane (still chuckling)

LOL!!!! Well, normally I deplore “crass commercial necessityâ€, but I guess it has its uses. This is what I mean when I keep saying that my family isn’t academically oriented. I most definitely want my children to be able to point out how Heinlein shoots himself in the foot in Starship Trooper, and I want them to be able to deliberately phrase something negatively to cast doubt, like the JFK example, and I want them to understand the difference between the name of the type of something, the type of something, the name of the something, the address of the something, and the current contents of the something (very important to me as a computer person and actually rather helpful in real life as well), but I don’t see why they can’t do it in English.

I still feel like I am missing the point, though. You don’t need the deconstructioning algorithm to find the flaws in someone’s argument (the Heinlein example) or recognize when negatives are being used to cast doubt (JFK example)? Isn’t it obvious that words can be twisted around to mean almost anything and therefore, one has to be careful when listening or reading not to be swayed in by illogicalness? And that logic isn’t necessarily useful when it comes to making everyday decisions. (I frequently have to make decisions before I have time to figure out how to put the reasons into a logical argument. There is a good argument; it just occurs to me after the fact.) Is the point that it is sometimes good and useful to use deconstruction to point out why something is flawed or manipulative, but that it isn’t an all-purpose leatherman?

-Nan

Holy cow! I just stumbled upon an article that you guys have just got to read! It is written by an engineer who decides to learn about deconstruction. The only bad part about the article is that it ends......I absolutely wanted to keep reading. Parts of it are funny (my sense of humor) and at the end he actually shows you how to deconstruct. I didn't know a lot about deconstruction and this was the ticket. Much more fun and illuminating than Wiki!

Read it!!!

That was delightful! Thanks for the link. :)

Read it!!!

LOVE the article. Laughing and nodding in agreement . . .

Read it!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

That is a keeper.

Wow...

Read it!!!