Menu

Box Turtle--anyone have one for a pet?

My daughter wants a box turtle. I was just wondering how much they cost to buy and get the set up, feed, etc. Are they a lot of care? Do they smell? How about disease? Lifespan?

We already have 3 horses, 2 cats, 10 chickens, a dog, and a few fish but now she wants a box turtle.

My daughter wants a box turtle. I was just wondering how much they cost to buy and get the set up, feed, etc. Are they a lot of care? Do they smell? How about disease? Lifespan?

We already have 3 horses, 2 cats, 10 chickens, a dog, and a few fish but now she wants a box turtle.

I am not especially knowledgeable about reptiles but we had an iguana once and the feeding requirements were very specific. Check with reputable sources to make sure it's feasible.

I'm pretty sure that they carry salmonella. My sister has a red eared slider that she found injured on the side of the road. No rescue place will take it (they are full) so she's stuck with it. She's a vet tech though, so she loves animals. She thoroughly washes her hands when she's finished messing with him or anything in his cage.

We have one! Rescued him from the road, actually my neighbor rescued him. He is a piece of cake. No smell, as long as you keep fresh water in his habitat, and we never feed him in there either. Always feed him in the kitchen- he LOVES cherry tomatoes! He eats about once a week, sometimes once every other week. There are days I try to feed him and he could care less about eating. From what I have read that's pretty typical. We let him walk around a bit after he finishes eating, and put him back in his 'cage'. We always wash our hands thoroughly after touching him-he loves to have his head rubbed:D. Our guy is very social, he rarely hides in his shell.

My cousins snake outgrew his terrarium and he gave it to us, heater and all. So, cost wise, I am no help. As far as lifespan, this guy will probably outlive me! They can get to be pretty old. ;)