Menu

How do you reply to a thread using multiple quotes?

I've posted some threads lately and I noticed that there can be several excerpted segments in their own "window box". I've even seen replies from several people on one thread before.

Can you tell me how to do this? It would be efficient to address several people who have replied...all in one response from me.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks. Sheryl <><

I've posted some threads lately and I noticed that there can be several excerpted segments in their own "window box". I've even seen replies from several people on one thread before.

Can you tell me how to do this? It would be efficient to address several people who have replied...all in one response from me.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks. Sheryl <><

This has been answered on the how to forum, and you can probably find the answer there. . In fact, this will probably be moved to that forum when one of the forum moderators sees this. I can tell you that it won't work with my browser, so I do it by quoting someone, copying it, and pasting it into another reply that I've quoted. This is rather time consuming, but if you look at the bottom of my post you'll see a button with quotation marks & a + sign, and you have to use that.

In the bottom right hand corner of each post there are three "buttons." One says "Quote," the one next to it has a plus sign (if you click on that and it turns red, then when you hit "post" you will have "quoted" that. You can click that on as many posts as you want to quote and when you hit "post reply" or the bigger "Quote" button they will all show up), the next one is a "quick reply" button (never used it, don't know what it does ;) ).

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks. Sheryl <><

But as you can see, they never show up for me, and I just did that (and they were red. I'm guessing it's my browser settings, but am not sure.

Wow! I just tried it and it seems to have worked.

In the bottom right hand corner of each post there are three "buttons." One says "Quote," the one next to it has a plus sign (if you click on that and it turns red, then when you hit "post" you will have "quoted" that. You can click that on as many posts as you want to quote and when you hit "post reply" or the bigger "Quote" button they will all show up), the next one is a "quick reply" button (never used it, don't know what it does ;) ).

But, but, I don't undertand. I've quoted one person many times, in fact I'm quote replying to you.

Let's say I started a thread....many people made good points and I'd like to address excerpts from their reply TO ME in one quoted reply post I send. That's what I don't understand. :confused:

But, but, I don't undertand. I've quoted one person many times, in fact I'm quote replying to you.

Let's say I started a thread....many people made good points and I'd like to address excerpts from their reply TO ME in one quoted reply post I send. That's what I don't understand. :confused:

I just hit that button with the plus sign and highlighted portions of your original post, then went on and highlighted something from Karin's post. At the last post, I hit quote and there were all the highlighted quotes. At this point you can add your own text.

I just hit that button with the plus sign and highlighted portions of your original post, then went on and highlighted something from Karin's post. At the last post, I hit quote and there were all the highlighted quotes. At this point you can add your own text.

Wow! I just tried it and it seems to have worked.

But as you can see, they never show up for me, and I just did that (and they were red. I'm guessing it's my browser settings, but am not sure.

This has been answered on the how to forum, and you can probably find the answer there. . In fact, this will probably be moved to that forum when one of the forum moderators sees this. I can tell you that it won't work with my browser, so I do it by quoting someone, copying it, and pasting it into another reply that I've quoted. This is rather time consuming, but if you look at the bottom of my post you'll see a button with quotation marks & a + sign, and you have to use that.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks. Sheryl <><

OK, I got it Liz....thanks!!!! :D

First, I multiquoted everyone (by clicking that + button that turns orange). Now I'm going to manipulate what you said, because I think that's what you mean by saying "excerpts." All I will do is backspace, or else highlight with my mouse over what I want gone and hit space bar.

Thanks. Sheryl <><

a + sign, and you have to use that.

s ;) ).

But as you can see, they never show up for me,

Maybe it's your cookies? That is definitley wierd....

Wow! I just tried it.

many people made good points and I'd like to address excerpts from their reply TO ME in one quoted reply post I send. That's what I don't understand. :confused:

Is all this what you meant? Or am I totally off base?

At this point you can add your own text.

And delete some of the quoted text, or even make another piece of text

in a quote box, by typing

[---quote=(whomever you want to put as being quoted, don't use the parenthesis, just add them after the equal sign)] blah blah blah [-/---quote---] I put in the dashes so you could see what to type, but the dashes aren't actually in there when you want it to quote... iykwIm.

the next one is a "quick reply" button (never used it, don't know what it does ;) ).

It puts your reply right under the post you are specifically replying to (if not the OP). This won't matter (or be visible) if you use certain "view" settings.

It puts your reply right under the post you are specifically replying to (if not the OP). This won't matter (or be visible) if you use certain "view" settings.

I've never changed my "view" settings, that I can recall, and new replies do not show up directly under the person being replied to, unless it is done before someone else replies (to any post in the thread) first. Maybe it's a default setting that just adds the next post/reply to the end of the thread? That's how mine works, anyway.

That's why it doesn't work when someone replies to another poster with just this:

:iagree:

and doesn't quote them. I have no idea who they're agreeing with!

you can also put anything in a quote box, like this

by typing [ quote ] at the beginning, without the spaces, and [ / quote ] at the end, without spaces. It's useful if you just copy an exerpt from a post without hitting Quote (sometimes I want to add a quote after I've already begun my reply), or if you are quoting part of an article from another website.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks. Sheryl <><

LOL

Guess I responded while you were working on it :p

let's try this quick reply...

I've never changed my "view" settings, that I can recall, and new replies do not show up directly under the person being replied to, unless it is done before someone else replies (to any post in the thread) first. Maybe it's a default setting that just adds the next post/reply to the end of the thread? That's how mine works, anyway.

That's why it doesn't work when someone replies to another poster with just this:

:iagree:

and doesn't quote them. I have no idea who they're agreeing with!

by typing [ quote ] at the beginning, without the spaces, and [ / quote ] at the end, without spaces. It's useful if you just copy an exerpt from a post without hitting Quote (sometimes I want to add a quote after I've already begun my reply), or if you are quoting part of an article from another website.

Just testing...