Menu

Thai Math??

SonshineLearner

Here's a funny:-) I was taking care of a Thai lady's son tonight. She just came here about 7 months ago. In Thailand last year, he was doing 2 digit + 2 digit problems. Here.... well, he's concentrating on English... but they don't have any math that will keep him thinking....

But... anyway... she showed me how he did it... when it's 9 + 2... you do "10 + 1" .... so... It's like some of the Math curriculums... like Singapore and such...

Anyone do Thai Math??

Carrie

I am not sure that the OP was asking if anyone had ordered Thai materials. She was asking if anyone knew how they do math. It is possible that someone on the board, who speaks English, came from or moved to Thailand at some point and is familiar with their curriculum. You may however find the book "Mathematics Curriculum in Pacific Rim Countries" interesting. It talks about Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and Singaporean approaches, some of which were quite similar. I summarized a bit in this post.

I think you might have some language problems there! Singapore has a network of government-run English language schools for which curriculum is needed, but I think you'll find most Thai materials to be in Thai. I could be wrong though.

Laura

Sorry, I wasn't clear. It seems as though this lady was taught to think with in a similar way to Singapore Math. I didn't mean to say that they used actual "Singapore Math" curriculum.

I was kinda just wondering if anyone knew if Thailand and Singapore.... used a similar approach to teaching/ thinking about math:-)

Carrie

I am not sure that the OP was asking if anyone had ordered Thai materials. She was asking if anyone knew how they do math. It is possible that someone on the board, who speaks English, came from or moved to Thailand at some point and is familiar with their curriculum. You may however find the book "Mathematics Curriculum in Pacific Rim Countries" interesting. It talks about Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and Singaporean approaches, some of which were quite similar. I summarized a bit in this post.

Thanks!! That's exactly what I meant. She is also trying to keep her children up in math, and in the back of my mind... I did entertain the thought of seeing if there was Thai Math that I could get for her... for maybe one year or so.... She speaks English well for only being her 7 months... but not well enough to work with a curriculum that is in English:-)

Carrie:-)

Oh, so you are looking for a Thai curriculum for her to use with her son?

I don't know if there is one, but you may be interested in the Indian textbooks -- they are sort of similar. Anyway they are all freely available online. The govt site is here but this website is much better organized. There are no teachers' manuals, but in the lower years there is limited text, so maybe she could figure it out from just the math.

I wonder also if the Kumon drill sorts of books would help as a supplement for arithmetic.