Menu

Help with grading co-op papers

TravelingChris

Okay, I need some advice on how to grade co-op papers. I am teaching government this quarter and have part of the grade class discussions, completion of regular assignments, completion of special assignments, quizzes, and a final. The paper, along with the presentation they gave on the subject, was worth 25% of the grade with the final being worth 20%. One student didn't turn in the paper and hadn't made arrangements prior to the class. I told him he gets one letter grade off for every day late with yesterday being the only day he could get an A. I really have no expectations for him to turn in anything but he did give a presentation so I will grade that part. He was proudly showing off his poor grade on the quiz to his nearby classmates.

I had made a broad paper assignment- they had to write about an important court case, government project or policy, or law. I did state that I wanted the facts and not an opinion paper. I wanted a bibliography and citations though which particular format they used was up to them. If they did a policy, program or law, I wanted to have pros and cons. They are a class of 8th through 12 graders.

Most students did this. However, a few did not. One student wrote an advocacy paper with no opposite point of view and with inflammatory statements. That paper had certain think tanks for sources. She is a ninth grader. Another student wrote a paper about the NASA mission to the moon. She got the date wrong by years and then she wrote about the trip itself rather than any policy or program. SHe is a 12 grader. Then what do I do about a lack of sources on other papers? I am considering letting students rewrite but should I give them all the opportunity or just the ones who had significant problems.

Any opinions?

I am considering letting students rewrite but should I give them all the opportunity or just the ones who had significant problems.

Any opinions?

I would use this as a valuable learning experience for students. Give them the grade they deserve (with a narrative explaining why they did not get an A) and do not allow re-dos. They will learn from their mistakes and take assignments more seriously -- and read instructions more carefully-- next time! It's better to learn this lesson now than in college.

Ultimately, you do them a favor by not coddling them.

Sandra

I have one graduate and one graduating this year.

Please do those kids a big favor and grade them for exactly what they earned. Make your rubric reflect research, content, execution, mechanics, and style. I'd give bonus points for the quality of the sources, and then allow them to apply the lesson in their next paper.

As to the child with the imflammatory language and think tank sources, I'd have a one on one with her, and perhaps a parent, if needed. Some of the homeschool parents I know don't have enough education themselves, or have a personality that is ill-suited for factual and/or logical debate, so their kids are really between a rock and a hard place. They've never had rational or gracious discussion modeled for them.

Sigh!

I agree that you should give them the grades they've earned. It might be helpful to write up a rubric showing the criteria you use so that if anyone questions the grade you can show them on the rubric where they fell short. It will help them feel that you are being fair and applying the same standards and criteria across the board.

I agree with Sandra and Valerie. These kids need the grade they deserve. This is high school - it is preparatory for college. I have taught in a co-op for about 8 years now and have learned that you are not doing them a favor by giving them opportunity after opportunity to do the job right.

For those who did not follow your instructions - I would turn the paper back to them with no grade. I would comment that the paper did not follow the assignment. I would send a note to the parents with the same comment. *Then* I would offer an opportunity to re-do the assignment in proper form, but with a reduced grade (so that those who did the job correctly the first time are not penalized) as well as a time limit. After the time has elapsed do not accept any papers.

If the paper followed the assignment, but lacked content (bibliography, citations, etc.) I would dock the grade accordingly but not offer a re-do.

I have learned that those who do a poor job the first time usually don't really care and opt out of any point-redeeming scheme I may offer. Those who really thought they were doing the right thing typically jump on any extra credit or re-do opportunity and they will try to meet with me to discuss how they can do the job right. Those are the kids you want to work with. The others - it doesn't really matter. There is usually no support at home and neither the parent nor the student really care about the grade because mom is going to make the transcript anyways.

Several students had poor grades on my first test this fall. They were very upset and wanted some sort of extra credit. So I made an extra credit assignment available to ALL the students. The kids who had done poorly all submitted the extra credit; those who did well to begin with didn't bother.

Some of our high school co-op graduates are now in college and having the same problems. Their complaints are that the teachers are too hard, they don't explain the assignments well, they have to take too many classes per semester, etc. These were the kids to whom we gave opportunity after opportunity to do the work right. They still expect the same treatment from their professors and are genuinely shocked that it isn't being offered. We've changed tactics now and are much more strict on due dates, format, etc. These kids are much better prepared for the real world (university) than the previous group. The work they turn in is much better than the first groups work.

It's a hard place to be for the teacher.