Menu

CLE learn to read or Pathways readers ?

blessedmom3

We enjoyed Pathway readers and used another phonics program with them.

Then I was given CLE learn to Read for my third ds. I loved it. I found it comprehensive and far more coordinated than I did with the first guys. It's also very easy to use.

For what it's worth, my youngest ds has some speech/language issues and has had trouble with the idea of phonics, and I'm definitely doing CLE with him. I also used LA with the last guy and will with this one. We'll use the Pathway readers as a supplement without the workbooks.

I posted on the special needs board.

Check out the I See Sam books at http://www.3rsplus.com

http://www.teacherweb.com/CA/PomeloDriveElementary/Mrssakamoto/printap2.stm has the first 2 sets you can print for free. That is the K level. The other levels are very reasonable and can be easily resold or used for another child.

My own daughter with speech and LDs and a cogntive impairment still likely could not figure out all of the phonics worksheets, etc. but by applying the phonics used in this program is now decoding at a 4th grade level.

We are using CLE learning to read with my 1st grader. 3 of my kids have had speech delays where they qualified for early intervention and early childhood phonology preschool and then speech therapy up until 1st grade, where they no longer qualify since we are homeschooling.

My oldest daughter went to school for K and part of 1st grade and I think she learned the wrong way to read. She had a severe speech delay and I think she memorized words instead of learning phonics. She reads really good now but cannot spell so we are working on that. She still has a few sounds she says wrong now but I don't think she would qualify as having a delay.

My next child, age 6, also has a delay (and still does) I find she knows what sound I am teaching her (like th or sh) but she cannot say them correctly and she struggles more remembering those.

It is very comprehensive with lots of practice (we actually skip some of it b/c it is too much) There is a revised LTR from CLE that supposedly has a little less work b/c they realized it was too much. We are happy with it, it probably would have been a better fit for K for her because she is ready to read. She is very studious and ready to learn.

We used MFW for K which gave her a great base, I love their alphabet song to learn the sounds and that program took her all the way to cvc words and all individual letter sounds. So we started CLE knowing that and CLE starts with individual letter sounds so those parts have been review.

Their LTR starts by itself at first but then after lightunit 104, it adds in language arts along with ltr. It ties in really nicely together, the LA will be covering what LTR taught that day.

The only complaints I have with it are:

She is ready to read now and I feel like I probably should have used OPGTR at age 4-5 and she would already know how to read now and we could then start spelling, grammar and writing. Instead we are doing all of it together which slows her down a little (but she is retaining a lot)

I don't like the diatrical markings but I have heard some skip that part. We have learned them but they use a schwa sound which is an upside down e and I think that is confusing but she doesn't seem annoyed with it, only I am! When I looked into OPGTR that was one thing that really appealed to me was the lack of markings.

I hope I have helped!

Sherry

I posted on the special needs board.

Check out the I See Sam books at www.3rsplus.com

http://www.teacherweb.com/CA/PomeloDriveElementary/Mrssakamoto/printap2.stm has the first 2 sets you can print for free. That is the K level. The other levels are very reasonable and can be easily resold or used for another child.

My own daughter with speech and LDs and a cogntive impairment still likely could not figure out all of the phonics worksheets, etc. but by applying the phonics used in this program is now decoding at a 4th grade level.

Thank you for the link . I like the readers , they seem better than Bob's books which I have.

Sherry , your detailed post about CLE really helps ! I have Phonics PAthways so I will do that instead of CLE.

Which one is more suitable for a 5yo who has mild speech & comprehension issues? He just started to read cvc words .

Pathway readers do not, themselves, teach dc to read; they only provide vocabulary-controlled practice to reinforce the phonics which has been taught.

For such a young child, something simple like Explode the Code might be good; there's also Phonics Pathways, or AlphaPhonics.