Menu

Dictation for an hour? Are you kidding me?

I am about to pull out every strand of hair on my head after working on dictation for almost an hour w/ my 9 yo ds. Every strand. We are on week 15 of WWE2 workbook. He has done fairly well up til this point, though the subject as a whole, is a struggle. He is a late reader and writer and he requires much patience on my part. I'm not sure that I can continue this book if it continues to get harder, which I'm sure it will. I would like to stop at this point and pick it back up next year to let his reading, writing, memory, etc catch up a bit. What can I do in the mean time? Maybe I should stop w/ the workbook and just use the text, with easier books/passages? Pretty sure I just answered my own question. It didn't occur to me til I wrote this out! AAughgghghgh! Dying of frustration over here!

I am about to pull out every strand of hair on my head after working on dictation for almost an hour w/ my 9 yo ds. Every strand. We are on week 15 of WWE2 workbook. He has done fairly well up til this point, though the subject as a whole, is a struggle. He is a late reader and writer and he requires much patience on my part. I'm not sure that I can continue this book if it continues to get harder, which I'm sure it will. I would like to stop at this point and pick it back up next year to let his reading, writing, memory, etc catch up a bit. What can I do in the mean time? Maybe I should stop w/ the workbook and just use the text, with easier books/passages? Pretty sure I just answered my own question. It didn't occur to me til I wrote this out! AAughgghghgh! Dying of frustration over here!

Apples and Pears has both spelling and dictation. It worked very well for my language delayed son.

is it one of the dictation pages where what is to be dictated is provided by the book or one of the pages where you're dictating back what they previously narrated?

with my ds (9yo) also language delayed, I'll frequently shorten the dictation. if it gives 2 sentences, I may only dictate one to him. if it's one of his narrations, I'll pick just a section of it to dictate.

the hardest part for us is that my son also has some auditory issues, auditory memory being fairly weak. I type out the reading selection so he can see it while I'm reading it. that has really helped him with recall and doing the narrations.

It is where they take dictation from what they've copied the day before. In this case,

"She wished she knew where to find a bit of lettuce, or a small egg, or a taste of cheese, or a corn muffin."

I completely ignore the directions of only reading it to him twice. We have to go over it and over it, and he'll still forget once he gets into it. We're working on comma placement and adjectives at this point, I hate to shorten it too much.

the hardest part for us is that my son also has some auditory issues, auditory memory being fairly weak. I type out the reading selection so he can see it while I'm reading it. that has really helped him with recall and doing the narrations.

You type out the multi paragraph passage from the book?

yes I type it out.... can get to be a real pain! it really keeps him focused and I let him look back for the answers instead of relying just on his memory. in fact, he loves using a highlighter and marking the answers that way. in fact, since doing this, he's actually remembering more answers without looking than ever before!

try this.... show him what he's about to write. I go over it with my ds. I point out where the tricky parts are (look where this comma is; this is a word with tricky spelling, etc) read the whole selection a couple of times but then break it into chunks, pieces of text that naturally flow together and say one of those, he writes it, say the next chunk, he writes it... little by little you should be able to stretch it out.

we're just a few weeks behind you... just finished week 12 (pilgrim's progress). there have been days where I wanted to throw that book out! then I looked back at some dictations from August and was amazed at how far he's come in just 4 months.

It is where they take dictation from what they've copied the day before. In this case,

"She wished she knew where to find a bit of lettuce, or a small egg, or a taste of cheese, or a corn muffin."

I completely ignore the directions of only reading it to him twice. We have to go over it and over it, and he'll still forget once he gets into it. We're working on comma placement and adjectives at this point, I hate to shorten it too much.

If you want to keep using this, maybe he needs some accommodations to make it work. Such as:

Type out the passage without punctuation. See if he can add in the punctuation. You can also leave all letters small case to see if he can correct caps.

Try French Dictation--type some of the words and leave blanks for others. You read the passage and he fills in words as you go.

Dictate phrase by phrase instead of the whole thing. Find out what his working memory level is (how many words can he hold before he starts to lose some/change some etc...) and dictate that many words at a time instead.

If some of the words are above his spelling level (I know some are above AAS 2), write those on a scratch paper or white board for him to refer to during dictation.

Just some thoughts. Merry :-)

i think an hour is too long, way too long. time for something different. there will be time for this later.... (if you're not ready to quit yet, have you tried bribery? one m & m per word with them set out at the top of his paper?)

but i'm thinking it sounds like its time for a break, and then a switch....

good luck!

ann

i think an hour is too long, way too long. time for something different. there will be time for this later.... (if you're not ready to quit yet, have you tried bribery? one m & m per word with them set out at the top of his paper?)

but i'm thinking it sounds like its time for a break, and then a switch....

good luck!

ann

I agree. WWE really should only take 15 minutes or less. If it takes much more time then it is not an appropriate resource right now.

ETA: My older son would *never* have been able to do anything in WWE 2 in 2nd or even 3rd grade.

thanks. i probably should have mentioned that we are also doing AAS 2, which also has dictation. AAS's is only about 5 words long right now, which is much better, much easier for him. maybe i'm doing too much.

If you are already doing dictation in your spelling program at an appropriate level, skip the WWE dictation for now! The AAS dictation will help him build skills to be able to eventually do the WWE dictation without undue stress. No need to frustrate him with the WWE dictation now.

Thank you! So many pieces of good advice! Just to clarify, it hasn't always taken this long, we just hit a wall at wk 15. I'm such a rule follower, it really hasn't occured to me to do the dictation in other ways, thanks for waking me up! I may try some of those techniques, Kay and Merry. I believe I'm leaning toward cutting it out in favor of AAS's dictation, keeping the other 3 days of WWE as scheduled.