Menu

Lang. Arts long-term plan

LNC

All of these MCT posts have me doubting!

Our plan:

-CLE LA Sunrise-8th

-CLE Reading Sunrise-8th

-CLP Building spelling series

-Wordly Wise series

-something good after WWE :)

-Abeka Lang arts w/Lit 9th-10th

-comm.college Comp,American Lit,British Lit 11th-12th

I know this plan is working well so far. It appeals to my teaching style and their learning styles. Is it rigorous enough? Enough prep for SATs?

All of these MCT posts have me doubting!

Our plan:

-CLE LA Sunrise-8th

-CLE Reading Sunrise-8th

-CLP Building spelling series

-Wordly Wise series

-something good after WWE :)

I know this plan is working well so far. It appeals to my teaching style and their learning styles. Is it rigorous enough? Enough prep for SATs?

Absolutely! It is enough for SAT prep.

And did you see the recent thread about MCT teacher intensity? While I love the samples of MCT too, that was a big reality check for me. My daily demands (including a very busy 2 1/2yo) preclude me from using anything too teacher-intensive.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My 2 cents,

what is CLP spelling?

We are not at 8th grade level yet, but I am always on the lookout for materials.

We use CLE right now for LA and Bible and I have their reading, but am not doing much of it as we have Sonlight reading to do.

I am thinking of incorporating MORE CLE in the future as I need my older boys to be more independent learners.

they aren't ready for the spelling yet though, so we use Spell to Write and Read right now.

Dawn

what is CLP spelling?

We are not at 8th grade level yet, but I am always on the lookout for materials.

I am thinking of incorporating MORE CLE in the future as I need my older boys to be more independent learners.

Dawn

I have never seen the CLE younger grades, but I can share that I think the high school level English materials are extremely weak. My 12th grader is currently using all CLE materials b/c he was refusing to do a normal high school work load. He is not college bound. He finishes CLE English in approx 20mins/day.

There are plenty of other ways to be successful with LA than using MCT. In fact my oldest 2 scored very well on the ACTs having used an eclectic selection of LA materials. I'm using MCT with my youngest 2 because I want to have the teacher interaction with them and I *love* the presentation. It appeals to me as a teacher and appears to appeal to the boys. I will say, though, that anytime I'm excited about a program, they tend to pick up on it and get excited (well, as excited as any teen boy can get over LA) as well.

Well, I don’t know anything about CLE, but this part:

-Wordly Wise series

-something good after WWE

Sounds great! I have heard that Abeka LA, is a good tool when used for college prep, some kids are considered gifted after using their program. But I agree that even an eclectic mix can prepare a student for testing and college. I only have a rough draft of some of the materials that we may use…Abeka is one possibility.

-something good after WWE :) this is too funny…

:lol: