Menu

Do you do any grammar before JAG\AG?

5LittleMonkeys

Very little. Ds knew nouns and pronouns. I never bothered with grammar until fifth grade. We started JAG this year and are almost done -- he now knows exactly what he would know if I'd badgered him with grammar all these years. Glad I didn't waste the time -- there's just not that much to know.

Next year we'll begin AG more or less at the recommended pace.

We did FLL and then Evan Moore's Grammar and Punctuation workbook prior to and along with JAG. They were an easy intro for a smooth transition.

ETA, FYI, I really love JAG (and AG), but JAG covers the 8 parts of speech and diagraming, not sentences, phrases, clauses or punctuation. I recommend that you incorporate punctuation instruction via a workbook or copywork/dictation along with JAG.

Edited by Stacy in NJ
more

Just wanted to give my two cents here. Hope you don't mind.

JAG/AG is FORMAL grammar study. We never say not to do INFORMAL study prior to our program. I for one plan to do FLL with my little ones before beginning our programs. FLL and the like cover a multitude of language arts topics, not just grammar. JAG will not be redundant; it's a completely different, formal take on grammar from an analytical level.

(FYI - My mom wrote JAG/AG.)

Blessings,

You don't need to do anything else before hand. You can if you want but it isn't necessary. I did with both of my older kids mostly because I didn't know about JAG/AG until we'd already done other grammar. This year I have my middle dd doing Shurley between JAG and AG just to keep it fresh. I really don't need to and probably will let it go as we do more grammar in Homer.

I hadn't planned on any with my youngest until we did some in WT1 and WT2 (it's there so I wouldn't be doing something separate) but I panicked at the last minute. Ends up we aren't really doing much anyway. I never seem to get to it.

About the comment that you need punctuation and phrase, clause etc stuff in addition to JAG - you really don't. It's covered in AG and it's covered last in AG for a reason. To truly, properly understand how phrases, clauses and punctuation (especially commas) work and where they go, you have to understand the grammar. It's an excellent session and my oldest really got a good understanding of all of that stuff.

Heather

Erin,

Is there any chance that you or Robin will write a season 2 and 3 to JAG? I would love to have a phrases/clauses and punctuation season for JAG similar to AG.

Just a thought. :-)

Actually, next winter's plan is to write a JAG Mechanics. It will cover basic punctuation and usage issues. We won't be covering phrases and clauses (other than prepositional, of course), though. We teach for mastery (as our users know) and verbal phrases and subordinate clauses are just too analytically difficult in our opinion to cover in elementary school.

I'm excited about JAG Mechanics, though; I think it's going to be great!

Actually, next winter's plan is to write a JAG Mechanics. It will cover basic punctuation and usage issues. We won't be covering phrases and clauses (other than prepositional, of course), though. We teach for mastery (as our users know) and verbal phrases and subordinate clauses are just too analytically difficult in our opinion to cover in elementary school.

I'm excited about JAG Mechanics, though; I think it's going to be great!

That's wonderful to hear. :001_smile:

Will you be working on it next winter, or will it be completed by next winter? No pressure of course.

I'd like to be able to use it with my 5th grader.

Edited by Stacy in NJ
more

That's wonderful to hear. :001_smile:

Will you be working on it next winter, or will it be completed by next winter? No pressure of course.

I'd like to be able to use it with my 5th grader.

This winter is the university edition of AG (a one-semester grammar course for incoming freshman). So NEXT winter (2010-11) is the JAG Mechanics.

I'm chugging through the first two books of GWG for second grade, but I'm killing two birds with one stone. It is the only thing I have he can really do on his own, once we get the book open, and I'm sure he can pronounce any new words, like synonym. He enjoys it, he does some independent work, he learns a few words along the way. It only takes 10 minutes a day.

I intend to move over to JAG or AG at the appropriate age.