Menu

Does Half-Price books pay much for used curriculum?

I have a bunch of things to sell, but I don't want to mess with selling online - too much time and hassle involved. Is it worth it to sell it to Half-Price Books? Would I get 1/4, or even 1/8 of the original value? Thanks for sharing your experience!

I only tried this 3-4 times, but I found that Half-Price books offered about 1/4-1/3 of what I eventually sold it for on the Sale & Swap board here.

HTH!

Half-Price Books doesn't pay well at ALL for books. They charge half price, of course, but don't even give you 1/4 of the price in my experience. It depends on what you have and if it's something they sell well...and I'm not sure that hs curriculum is it. lol I brought in a big box of 20+ popular fiction and children's titles only to get $4 for all of them. :toetap05: They stay in business by buying extremely cheaply!

They pay more for something that's in demand, but their demand (here) is for Abeka. Even then, I doubt it's much. I take stuff there that doesn't sell elsewhere.

If you don't want to bug w/ online sales, you might check & see if you've got a hs bookstore. They're liable to pay a little better, but you may still end up so disappointed you'd rather just give it all away. (My experience.) :glare:

Sorry.

I would take stuff to Half Priced Books if I were otherwise going to just take it to a thrift shop. Their prices are very low and the prices they pay for books are also low. But I also took a huge box of old software and got about $30, which was great for stuff that I would have pretty much thrown out.

To be honest, the best money I've gotten for curriculum was just offering it for free to people who wanted it and then having them unexpectedly offer to pay me a bit. Ironically I've gotten as much that way for things like Saxon as I have listing it for sale on group email lists.

I had little luck with yard sales and homeschool books. I don't think that setting is the best for books that you want more than a quarter for.