Menu

help- I need a frosting that hardens

I have to decorate cookies (to look like eyeballs but that is beside the point) for co-op. I need frosting that will harden enough to stack the cookies.

I don't need a royal icing and anything that hard. I had a buttercream recipe that hardened enough to stack cookies for transport without too much problem but I can't find it.

Help??

Marie

It's been a while, so I'm nervous just telling you what I remember without the caveat to double check, but I mixed confectioner's sugar ( buy a good quality kid with out too much corn starch) and .... milk I think.. and food coloring,

I really think I just made a thin paste,

Anyway, confident that confectioner's sugar is the right direction to start. good luck.

~c.

for these butter cookies that have cream cheese in them and it is just powdered sugar with a little lemon juice mixed in. It gets quite hard - and tastes good. You can put sprinkles, etc on them as long as you do it pretty quickly. I have also tinted some w/ food coloring, and put a splotch in the middle of a frosted cookie and then swirl it around w/ a toothpick. Comes out very pretty.

I just used this one with great success. It does take several hours for it to harden enough for stacking, AND if you need to make it thinner, add milk, not corn syrup. Adding more corn syrup than the recipe calls for makes it gooey and it won't harden.

HTH!

I've made this recipe several times. It works great for a nice shiny, hard but not too hard frosting. Definitely make sure they're nice and dry before you stack them or they'll stick.

I use Wilton's royal icing recipe. It should be on their website. It uses egg whites, powdered sugar and vanilla, I think. I only make it at Christmastime so I tend to forget the ingredients year-to-year.

One year I think I used Alton Brown's royal icing recipe, too. Both are lovely and white and dry hard...and they actually taste pretty good, too!