Menu

A pet peeve.

Suddenly, as in the last day or so, it has really started irritating me to hear someone say, "the doctor put me on (fill in the blank...something like 'Keflex')."

Put you on it? Like as in, placed you on something? A horse maybe? Where did that terminology come from and WHY?

Sorry - I must be in a grinchy mood tonight. Just ignore me. :lol:

Edited by Tree House Academy

mind the phrasing or the passivity of the remark?

LOL, I am not sure. I think it is just one of those days. I guess I just think it sounds funny. The more I hear it, the more it doesn't make sense. I think English is full of such sayings and phrases. The South is particularly bad for it. When I met my dh, he may as well have spoken German with regard to the colloquialisms.

"The doctor put me on..." is an irritating phrase to me. (I agree it's a pet peeve, so do I need to add to your star count?)

I just think it sounds like the person is not taking full responsibility for choosing to fill that prescription. It makes more sense to say "I am taking xyz. Doc suggested it for my pdq."

That bugs me too. For both reasons mentioned above. I'd prefer to hear people say "The doctor advised me to...."

I also do not like to hear my pregnant friends say "The doctor won't let me " with regards to natural birth or going past 40 weeks.

Yep. I don't like the "my doctor is making me do this" attitude. I'd up your star count, but I don't even know how! ;)