Menu

eBooks may go the way of the 8 Track? (Article)

They are suggesting that Kindle and other e-Books may soon be obsolete?

Apple is coming up with Kindle-like technology to read a book, surf the net, and watch a movie/tv show on one slim handheld device. I thought my iPhone did that. But the web surfing is lame on it. And I cannot yet connect to Hulu and watch tv.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/108283/e-readers-theyre-hot-now-but-the-story-isnt-over?mod=family-love_money

Edited by tex-mex

The nice thing about e-readers, though, is that they use digital ink, so the screen is much more like reading print on paper. They don't require any back lighting which makes them much easier on the eyes and saves a lot of battery power. Also, the way the optics of the "inks" work allows the text to be read from all angles and in bright light, unlike other electronic devices.

If they could make high-quality color digital ink, though, it would be no contest :D

The nice thing about e-readers, though, is that they use digital ink, so the screen is much more like reading print on paper. They don't require any back lighting which makes them much easier on the eyes and saves a lot of battery power. Also, the way the optics of the "inks" work allows the text to be read from all angles and in bright light, unlike other electronic devices.

If they could make high-quality color digital ink, though, it would be no contest :D

I like reading free e-books on my iPhone. The Kindle does sound appealing.

I've often wondered how it works overseas? And what do you DO with all of those e-books you bought -- can you give it on an SD stick to another Kindle person? I doubt you can re-sell it. :confused:

As far as the Kindle goes, I don't think you really own the book and can't even use it on another Kindle, which is kind of lousy. It really limits the usefulness of the e-reader. I think the Nook from Barnes and Noble is a little better because you can loan the book to another Nook user for two weeks at a time. I agree that a Kindle does sound appealing though!

As far as the Kindle goes, I don't think you really own the book and can't even use it on another Kindle, which is kind of lousy. It really limits the usefulness of the e-reader. I think the Nook from Barnes and Noble is a little better because you can loan the book to another Nook user for two weeks at a time. I agree that a Kindle does sound appealing though!

What you've bought is stored by Amazon and you can re-download everything when you get a new Kindle or just because you feel like it.

But the web surfing is lame on it. And I cannot yet connect to Hulu and watch tv.

OMG I love the web surfing on my iphone. So far, the problem with hulu seems to be more of a hulu problem since I can watch other videos on my phone - like youtube. But for commited hulu users, there is a way to dowload the videos onto the computer, convert them, then put them on the phone....yeah, I know. It'll come though.

On my iphone I read my email online (not on the native mail app but online via google's free app), I shop on amazon, ebay, post on makeupalley, edit my google spreadsheets (this is the *bomb*). I think it's all pretty Jettsons.

:)

K

OMG I love the web surfing on my iphone. So far, the problem with hulu seems to be more of a hulu problem since I can watch other videos on my phone - like youtube. But for commited hulu users, there is a way to dowload the videos onto the computer, convert them, then put them on the phone....yeah, I know. It'll come though.

On my iphone I read my email online (not on the native mail app but online via google's free app), I shop on amazon, ebay, post on makeupalley, edit my google spreadsheets (this is the *bomb*). I think it's all pretty Jettsons.

:)

K

Cool! Sounds like you have the 3G version? :001_smile:

What you've bought is stored by Amazon and you can re-download everything when you get a new Kindle or just because you feel like it.

This is true, but they also feel free to remove a book you already bought and paid for. They did that a few months ago. Also, the Kindle won't read a PDF book. Some of the other readers will. There are many wonderful classics available free on the Internet that you can't view in the Kindle.

Being a voracious reader, I love the concept, but I'm going to hold off and get whatever gives me the most control.

This is true, but they also feel free to remove a book you already bought and paid for. They did that a few months ago.
The irony is that the book they removed was 1984! :eek:

I do like the idea of not wasting all that paper, but it doesn't make sense to pay nearly the same price for a book that only one person can use as you would pay for a book that many people can enjoy. I've been interested in finding an open Android-based reader. The Nook is based on Android and it does seem a little less restrictive than Kindle, but I'm expecting more open versions to appear over time.

Actually, the kindle DOES work overseas (just not always wirelessly...in Malaysia I download onto it from my pc via USB cable but it only takes a few seconds...it works wirelessly in over 100 countries if you have the international kindle though).

And you CAN put books you buy onto another kindle if they are part of your account. Up to 4 kindles can share the same material. My dh and I and 2 of my friends share content all the time (legally).

And it CAN read PDFs. They just gave free software updates to all kindle owners so that your kindle can read a PDF without reformatting it.

Also, you can get a free app for your PC and read kindle books from there too. So I have all my books on my pc and on my Kindle.

I love my kindle!!!!!!

I think ebook are here to stay, but the platform used to read the books are going to change constantly just like the platform used to listen music. I have listened to music on records, 8 tracks, cassettes, cd's and now my itouch, but I still listen music.

I use the kindle app on my itouch to read ebooks if the books I want is availabe for purchase as an ebook.

Ebooks won't go away like 8 tracks, but the platforms used today will.

Actually, the kindle DOES work overseas (just not always wirelessly...in Malaysia I download onto it from my pc via USB cable but it only takes a few seconds...it works wirelessly in over 100 countries if you have the international kindle though).

And you CAN put books you buy onto another kindle if they are part of your account. Up to 4 kindles can share the same material. My dh and I and 2 of my friends share content all the time (legally).

And it CAN read PDFs. They just gave free software updates to all kindle owners so that your kindle can read a PDF without reformatting it.

Also, you can get a free app for your PC and read kindle books from there too. So I have all my books on my pc and on my Kindle.

I love my kindle!!!!!!

I love my Kindle, too. I really like having books at hand and I can choose what book I want to read when I want to read it. It's almost like walking around with a bookstore in my purse. I see someone reading a book that looks interesting and I can pull up the description on my Kindle, buy it if I choose, and have it in less than a minute. I used to travel with a backpack stuffed with books on vacation; now, I just bring my Kindle.

When I bought my Kindle, I also purchased a leather cover to protect it that, when folded back, configures into a book stand. I can enjoy my cup of coffee or a snack or whatever while reading hands free wherever it suits me.

in fairly short order. That's one reason I struggled whether to buy it or not. I agree with the assessment that if you don't have disposable income don't buy a Kindle. Kindle has been worth it for us; even if we use it for just one year it cost us less than $1/day. I think we'll get more than one year out of it because the itablet is not scheduled to launched until fall '10. Net/notebook is not small enough for me to be convenient to take everywhere.

I like my Kindle but I still read more books than ebooks. It's just cheaper to use the library. I like my Kindle for reading the NYT, Newsweek and ebooks.

I'll be the first to buy a itablet if it's a larger version of my ipod and does all the things the ipod and Kindle does. Then my dh can have my Kindle ;)

I love my kindle!!!!!!

Probably only if you already own it though. They won't ship a Kindle to Australia and I can't get the iPhone app :mad:

Still apart from being unhappy to be left out (and it's because they like to really stick it to us with book prices here) I don't mind so much because I really do prefer the paper book held in my hands. My iPhone ebook reader is fine for emergencies though.

eta: tell a lie. I just Googled and it's now available here. Just most books they sell can't be legally sold to us because they don't have publishing rights in Australia and those that do they are charging more than to US customers. So it's not a lot of use really.

Edited by keptwoman