Menu

Just need to vent - DH gets another paycut

I decided to "say" this here since I don't like griping and complaining about my family's finances IRL to many people. I don't like to come off as "woe is me" since we're not in hunger or out in the cold, and I don't want to make my dh feel that all his hard work is for naught.

Within the last month, dh's work stopped paying for overtime in cash - instead they now pay in "comp time" (time off). Well, that doesn't pay the bills. He works ALOT of overtime and we depended on that extra $ but are getting by w/o it, although feeling the adjustment very much so. There is the option to not take the time off and if he waits a YEAR from the date he worked the o.t. then they pay him in money. Of course, a year from now the value of that money will be slightly decreased. :glare: These orders came from the tippy-top and are due to cuts in military funding, so there's no one he can appeal.

This morning he came home from work and informed me that as of Jan. 3 he will be on day shift and that will mean $400 less per month. *sigh* We're going to have to pinch each and every penny until it begs for mercy. I just don't know what else to do. We've never had cable TV (except for 1 yr, then we cancelled), we now menu-plan, use coupons, only shop for necessities, I even sew "new" things out of old things instead of discarding (mostly pajama pants and regular pants for my littlest). Haircuts are done at home or by Grandma - it's been over a year since mine has seen scissors. We change the oil in the vehicle ourselves. Where else can I cut costs? Ugh. I'm just not looking forward to all the work that it's going to take just to stay afloat. A few months ago I was in the mindframe that maybe next year I'll get to go to the eye Dr. and get some new glasses (current ones are 9 yrs old) and a haircut. I always, always put my kids' educational expenses before anything for me so it's not like I couldn't have done those things, I just chose to spend the $ elsewhere. I now have to be VERY frugal with the educational spending - I never spent TONS but never had to watch it too closely either. Both of my sons wanted to pick up drum lessons, and do indoor soccer again this spring semester, etc. I wanted to enroll them in a neat arts/handicrafts class I found. Argh. I will have to watch everything like a hawk to know what we can and cannot do. I don't know how to handle those extra-curricular things they want without saying no or getting a job myself. Of course, I'd consider babysitting or tutoring in my home first.

Pardon my griping and complaining. I know it sounds terribly annoying. That's why I didn't want to do it IRL. Thanks for letting me dump it here.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I know what you are going through. Dh took a 60% paycut in March and we have been faced with several weeks of furlough without pay for the last three months.

For the extra curriculars you might want to see what you can do in trade. When my dd wanted piano lessons she contacted the teacher and offered to entertain her younger children while she gave other lessons in exchange for her own lesson. Older teens are often available to give reduced cost lessons at something they are good at.

Another option that might be frowned upon here is looking into a charter school. Our charter school pays for music lessons, dance lessons, Tae Kwan Do, Digital Manga classes and other cool classes. Not to mention they pay for all the science materials I could never afford to buy.

The grocery bill is the best place to save. It takes more work to cook inexpensively like dried beans vs canned or whole chicken vs boneless chicken parts. With a little extra affort you can see big savings.

It can be daunting to feel like you are spending all your energy looking for places to scrimp and save. If you are feeling down because you feel like you don't have the $$ to get a great haircut look into a salon school for a haircut for yourself. You can request a senior (someone who is about to graduate) and a cut costs about $10.

Try to find some fun, free things to do for Christmas. We always try to scope out the best neighborhood lights and then take the kids to see. We let the kids vote on the best displays & take a plate of cookies to the winners.

It will all work out.

Amber in SJ

I don't know how to handle those extra-curricular things they want without saying no or getting a job myself. Of course, I'd consider babysitting or tutoring in my home first.

Personally, I would consider doing the babysitting (maybe tutoring later). It would mean giving up the freedom to go somewhere whenever we want to, which is why I'm not doing it now. But if our financial situation were worse--as in, I don't know how we're going to get the money to pay for this or that--I'd do it.

Personally, I would consider doing the babysitting (maybe tutoring later). It would mean giving up the freedom to go somewhere whenever we want to, which is why I'm not doing it now. But if our financial situation were worse--as in, I don't know how we're going to get the money to pay for this or that--I'd do it.

Oh no, no, no... anyone I babysit would need to leave a carseat or put down a deposit for me to get one for their kid so I can tote them around with me. :D I don't like being stuck. I guess beggers can't be choosers though, like my dad always said - so if it came down to it... I just thought of something else: I could clean homes for people or do data entry from home if some business had a need for that. Of course, dh might be a bit annoyed that I'm out cleaning other people's houses and not our own. :lol: Thanks for the kind words, all of you.

I'm sorry. I know how that feels. $400 a month is a lot of money to lose. I understand your frustration. It's especially rotten given what time of year it is.

Last year in November my husband was given a week off with no pay and in December 2 weeks off with no pay. No advance warning. It was very frustrating.

:grouphug: