Menu

Best drum set for elementary boys taking drum lessons?

I have a First Act brand drum set, which is pretty good quality for being from Toys'R'Us. The drums are thick wood, but all the little nuts & bolts on anything that has a moving mechanism (bass drum pedal, hi-hats pedal, etc.) constantly falls off - as in more than once a week. My guys have been begging to take drum lessons again but I do not want to deal with a set of drums that is constantly wanting for repair.

Can you recommend a good set that isn't "toyish", but maybe costs less than a "real" set? I'm looking for the full shabang - bass, snare, crash & hi-hat cymbals, tom-tom, and floor tom. TIA!

All drum sets have that issue with nuts loosening - at least, all the ones we've dealt with. I suspect the laws of physics apply here - those cymbals, high hats, etc. are vibrating and will loosen the nuts in the process. I just made sure my dd knew how to do the tightening properly herself.

I think your kids' drum instructor will have recommendations about what set your kids need, but we bought a Union beginners set for around $300. We've had very little trouble with it and as my dd went from being 5'2" to 6' (yes, six feet tall!) she's had no problem with a drum set that was too small, nor too big. Ultimately, she bought a set of new drum heads for it, but that may have been a stylistic decision because they're black. Who knows?

I think this is the kit we bought. http://www.interstatemusic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10051&langId=-1&productId=900142983

This has been a good starter set for my ds. He has started to add on to it with more cymbals, etc. Musician's Friend is an excellent resource with great prices. They have several other entry-level sets available.

Just last week I Freecycled the toy drum set he started with when he was 3 (a toys-r-us type model). It's been sitting in the corner since he started lessons with the Pearl set about three or four years ago, when we discovered that it's not very practical to take drum lessons with only a toy set. doh!

We bought our son a junior-sized set a few years ago. It is "Rockwood Jr." (not sure if you're looking for a medium-sized set or not...)

We got a "killer deal" just before Christmas at a local music store.

Unfortunately, my son has outgrown them and now we have to find them a new home.