Menu

homeschooling overseas - questions

TulaneMama

We are not military, but we do live overseas in Asia. It's kinda tricky because technically you don't reside in the US anymore and therefore aren't subject to the rules/regs on homeschooling. We lived in VA before moving overseas and I talked with our homeschooling rep about this and she said that since we don't physically live there, even though we own property and have a license there, we don't have to register our dd anymore. Even so, I still keep good records for when we go back to the States in case we have to put her back in school. That said, I would still contact whoever you are registering with now to make sure. Hope that helps!

specifically in Italy? do we follow our home of record (we are military) or the state we are residents of?

Neither. You may want to send a letter of intent to the local school, just so they know your kids aren't truant. But you aren't required to do anything.

eta: If you aren't military you are required to follow local laws for the country in which you live. If you are military then education of the kids falls under the Status of Forces Agreement. There are no federal laws surrounding homeschooling. Therefore, there are no official requirements.

We are from Colorado. We spent five years sailing around the world. Our daughter was five when we left and ten when we got home. We knew we would be coming back to Colorado. We are not military. Just to keep things straight, I filed a home school letter every year and I gave my daughter the required standardized tests and I keep records and samples of her work. In the end, I am not really sure it mattered.

I do recommend you keep your options open. In Colorado, the public school basically had to take my daughter. If you think you will put your child in a private school, they may have special requirements. So think about how long you will be gone and what you want to do when you come home.

Patti

We're US Navy currently forward deployed in Japan.

My kids fall under the SOFA agreement and DODDS could care less what we do. I don't even have any contact iwth the schools here.

HTH,

Kris

yep exactly! We are air force and the same thing applies. You dont have to do anything at all.