Menu

Toddler and Teenager?

Oh my. I desperately need some help or ideas.

My almost 13yo son and I can't get anything done because my 20mo dd is constantly bothering us during school time.

This is how our school day starts...

Ds gets writing assignment. Dd climbs into his lap, takes pen away and starts scribbling in his book. I take her and play with her for a bit so he can finish his assignment, but he has a question, so I try and explain but she is climbing over both of us trying to take pens, books, whatever.

We give up and he moves on.

Later I try to read aloud, dd climbs into my lap, takes book starts "reading." If I get the book back, she'll either try to take it again or starts babbling in imitation very loudly.

We do not spank. EVER, ever, ever.

Please don't give me disciplinary advice, I just need ideas to keep her busy so my son and I can get school done.

So, if you have a toddler and teen, how do you get school done? What does the wee one do during school?

:bigear:

We are non- punitive parents, and I would never suggest punishment or spanking. Holy moly!

Listen to audio books in the car, or while she is sitting with play-dough or stickers, or has a sensory tub on the kitchen floor filled with sand or water, or at nap time, or in the eve when she might be sleeping, or when she is nursing to sleep. Read while you all sit in the bathroom while she is playing in the tub.

My kids have crazy age spans , and while they are now older, the youngest was a toddler when we started. I found/find we could/can do whatever we wanted to whenever we wanted to.

Remember, you are a family, not a school and can have our own schedule.

Homeschooling with a busy toddler can be a challenge. One book that I found helpful was "Help for the Harried Homeschooloer" by Christine Field. She has a whole section devoted to homeschooling with little ones around. I learned to be proactive, rather than reactive. I had to plan for the baby in my day.

I found that having several small shoe boxes of "Homeschool only" toys helpful. These would only come out when you needed more focused time with the student. Also, since the child wants to participate, try to make ways of participating. As you work with your teen, give the toddler a writing utensil and some paper and show her what to do. I had to learn to give focused instruction in short increments.

Since I have 3 children, we also did cards with ideas for the other children to do with the baby to keep her occupied for a little while.

It's late and I should be in bed, so I can't think of any more right now, but I do encourage you to get her book. It is written from a Christian perspective, but has plenty of gems useful to all homeschoolers.

One book that I found helpful was "Help for the Harried Homeschooloer" by Christine Field. She has a whole section devoted to homeschooling with little ones around. I learned to be proactive, rather than reactive. I had to plan for the baby in my day.

Thanks for this book recommendation! We are dealing with a similar issue and I understand the frustration!!!!!

One thing we've found that helps when the weather is nice enough, is to get special outdoor toys out and my oldest and I can get some things done sitting on a picnic blanket while the toddlers play. We'll also do this at the park for a change of pace.

Another idea I'm thinking of is getting a teen 'moms helper' to come over one morning a week to try to get us through this hump.

I've also started using Veggie Tales videos when I really need to give big brother some peace.

Good luck! I know it is tough!!!!!

I remember putting the child in the high chair at the table and using "school only toys". Having them in the high chair kept them out of reach of things that we had to work on. I gave the child a lot of attention with their toys while working with others.

The read aloud is a challenge, huh? It sounds cute, though frustrating!! Can you "take turns"? You let her babble, then thank her and sssh! and read a little?? Then when she breaks in to babbly, stop and listen and thank her again? Tell her you are taking turns? I have NO idea if that would work... Maybe practice taking turns, even if she doesn't catch on for a long time... Could older son hold her while you have the book? Does she nap and you can read during that time? 20 months is pretty young!!