Menu

Logic for a 7th grader

Sweet Home Alabama

I'm starting late trying to use WTM in our school, and would be grateful for advice about logic for a 7th grader who has never gone through any kind of logic curriculum.

WTM suggests Wilson's Introductory Logic but I think Critical Thinking Books 1 and 2 look more appealing for my daughter.

What would you all suggest in this situation..... one of these, or something else?

I would definitely suggest doing a little logic/critical thinking with your student first. Then the Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox are a nice next step before tackling a formal logic. While I know a number of people here have used the Critical Thinking books, we found them both dull and difficult to implement (designed for a classroom).

Instead, for logic/critical thinking in middle school we used:

- Mindbenders or Perplexors (logic puzzles)

- Dr. Funster Think-A-Minutes (variety of critical thinking puzzles

- Blastoff with Logic and Orbiting with Logic (Dandylion Logic series) (logic puzzles and terms)

- Critical Thinking Activities in Pattern, Image, Logic (gr. 7-12) -- by Seymour

- 10-Minute Critical-Thinking Activities for English (gr. 5-12) -- by Eaton; Walch Pub.

Perhaps start with some logic/critical thinking puzzles this year, and after a month or so, try adding in Fallacy Detective (once a week, one chapter a week). I would suggest holding off on the formal logic program until maybe halfway through 8th grade, or even until 9th grade, when the logic and abstract thinking portions of a student's brain have had time to develop and mature. Just our experience! BEST of luck whatever you go with. Warmest regards, Lori D.

My 7th gr dd and I have been using Critical Thinking Book 1 this semester. We really enjoy it and are looking forward to using Book 2 next semester.

We do a couple of sections on Tuesday and Thursday. I read the lesson and then she orally answers the odd problems. We especially like how the exercises relate to family, school, and advertising. Dd remembers the lessons and mentions them when she finds her own real life examples.

Chapter 2 was very boring. We almost quit, but I am glad that we continued.

DD previously completed the Building Thinking Skills series and Perplexors.

My 8th grader is doing Critical Thinking I with a group of 6th-9th graders. It seems to be going well. Visually, the book is a yawner to me, but it seems to be covering quite a bit of ground. I think he's picking up some skills.

Wilson's Introductory Logic seems to cover the same ground, but there is more white space on the page, more reading/lesson, far fewer exercises, and of course more Christian examples. (I have a used copy but haven't tried it.)

To me, Building Thinking Skills was more of a mathematical/visual thinking exercise, rather than a verbal logic exercise (dd did about half of the 3rd level some years back).

I plan to use the Bluedorn set after Critical Thinking. It's similar, but seems more applied to life? I had the first one for dd, but don't think we really got to it much, so my experience is limited.

Julie

It's my second time through them, this illogical person learned a couple of things the first time around. DO NOT attempt to do them without the teacher's book. I'm truly not as logical as I once believed (see above).

Second, Chapter 2 is dull as can be, as you've pointed out, but much of book 2 requires a deep understanding of what is in that chapter. I allotted lots of time for it so that my ds could absorb it all. Many of the other chapters are more examples and move much more quickly. Ds is enjoying them, and my current junior remembers a lot of our logic studies and finds them helpful in other settings.

I'm starting late trying to use WTM in our school, and would be grateful for advice about logic for a 7th grader who has never gone through any kind of logic curriculum.

WTM suggests Wilson's Introductory Logic but I think Critical Thinking Books 1 and 2 look more appealing for my daughter.

What would you all suggest in this situation..... one of these, or something else?

If you think the CT books are more appealing right now, I'd go with them before starting something like IL. Ds and I just started CT 2, and are really enjoying this series.

You could also use the Mind Benders alongside the CT books, just as a fun side thing. They are fun to do, once you get used to how they work (it took me awhile!).

After CT, you could go on to the Intro. Logic/Intermediate Logic series, or you could go with the Traditional Logic 1 and 2. I did some research on both a few months ago, and came to the conclusion that IL/IL are more math/symbol oriented, and TL 1 and 2 are more word-oriented. I am going with TL because I want those skills to be applied to writing and reading. And somewhere in my research, someone mentioned that if you do the TL first, then IL can be easier to study, if your student is interested in studying symbolic logic for computer programming.

Also, don't feel like you are "late" according to WTM. From all I've read here over the years, 7th grade is the *earliest* most kids would be capable of starting something like IL or TL. Many kids start later than 7th.