Menu

I am trying to find somewhere that is about 10 hours or less from each of these:

Dubuque, IA

Chapel Hill, NC

Daytona Beach, FL

This somewhere needs to have blue collar jobs, Catholic churches, and affordable housing (meaning rent under $1000 a month and I don't mind living in a trailer.) Good homeschooling support is a plus!

It seems like Knoxville, TN (and just about anywhere in TN) would work distance wise (for a frame of reference.) I don't know anything about TN, KY, AR, or AL.

I realize that not many places have jobs right now, but this is in the future.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Renee in FL

I would move to TN in a heartbeat. When my dh was unemployed last year we went there on a job interview in Nashville and we enjoyed the area a lot. I have family in Chattanooga and enjoy that area, too. My dh is unemployed again and if a great job appeared in tn we'd seriously consider it.

Good luck.

It seems like Knoxville, TN (and just about anywhere in TN) would work

I think many people would be very happy living in Knoxville--we visit there often. Not sure if the job situation is any better there than anywhere else, but I think that it would be a comfortable place to live and we've considered doing so ourselves in the past.

Hope you get some more response from TN people about the specifics.

I live in NW Arkansas and it is a really nice place to live. The economy is still doing fairly well (as can be expected) and their is a ton of homeschooling support here. They are getting a lot more cultural things in the area as well. You should look into it.

The names of the cities in this area are Bentonville, Rogers, Springdale and Fayetteville (theres other smaller ones but those are the 4 main ones)

Dubuque, IA

Chapel Hill, NC

Daytona Beach, FL

This somewhere needs to have blue collar jobs, Catholic churches, and affordable housing (meaning rent under $1000 a month and I don't mind living in a trailer.) Good homeschooling support is a plus!

It seems like Knoxville, TN (and just about anywhere in TN) would work distance wise (for a frame of reference.) I don't know anything about TN, KY, AR, or AL.

I realize that not many places have jobs right now, but this is in the future.

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure if I understand the post or not. But......

Ohio (Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati)....I'm originally from Ohio

NC....we live in Charlotte now and there is a little bit of everything you mentioned. We are BIG on homeschooling here.

SC....Charleston and Columbia

GA....Athens, Atlanta

I live in NW Arkansas and it is a really nice place to live. The economy is still doing fairly well (as can be expected) and their is a ton of homeschooling support here. They are getting a lot more cultural things in the area as well. You should look into it.

The names of the cities in this area are Bentonville, Rogers, Springdale and Fayetteville (theres other smaller ones but those are the 4 main ones)

I am in NW AR too and agree with everything she said.

We live in Memphis. If you can get a job in the medical profession, there are tons here (from what I hear) since we have two nursing colleges and...at least four major hospitals. There is a huge (200+ families) Catholic homeschool group spread all over the area. I think we're just over your 10 hour limit from Chapel Hill. Memphis isn't um, scenic, but we're close enough to some landscape that one can survive. Chattanooga is much prettier. There are many Catholic churches in the Diocese of Memphis, which spreads from northern state line to the southern state line, bordered on the east by Jackson, TN and on the west by the MS river and Arkansas. As far as jobs are concerned, there are three major colleges (Christian Brothers University, Rhodes College and the University of Memphis) as well as numerous community colleges. We're a "major metroplitan" area and the county seat, so I know the legal community is always hiring.

I'm not from here originally and honestly hope we'll get to move further north eventually, but it's a great place to homeschool and not a half bad place to live. Hope that helps!

Footnote: and regarding cost of living, it's quite low. If you're not bent on living in a huge house in the suburbs, you could find a decent sized house in a decent area for $1,000 a month to rent. A gallon of milk runs around $2.35 a gallon right now, right there with gas at $2.40 a gallon.

Edited by VA6336
Added footnote

Well, if you're OK with the upper midwest, where I live, Sioux Falls, South Dakota, is great, and is 7 hours from Dubuque (according to googlemaps). We have a large Catholic homeschooling group with a variety of excellent activities; low cost of living; easy homeschooling laws; multiple Catholic parishes, including a Latin Mass community; good economy, even during this slump; relatively cheap housing, especially if you're willing to drive about 25 minutes into town, as I do; 2 local universities; an excellent library system and friendly librarians; friendly people; 2 major hospital systems and the various sub-sets of those, plus clinics of all types; safe neighborhoods nearly everywhere; and did I mention the great homeschool group?! :) Please move here! :lol: